Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So apologies for the images. And I have no idea why duplicated. But it’s cold as f in NJ and dark and this is all I could find in camera roll as I contemplate the following. So leave the newbie comments aside and tell me :

Youve got 10k to put into your 110. You need doors for sure. Rusted as all hell that won’t hold locks and windows a mess. Diesel 2.5tdi w lots of miles but runs great. What would you spend it on and who would you hire to do it ?!?

84940F1B-596B-4122-86AE-14BA3A22A9C4.png
6360B45C-3A3A-4101-80BE-FEE29220C1AB.png
84940F1B-596B-4122-86AE-14BA3A22A9C4.png

·
Registered
230 Posts
You could get a set of doors like Doug mentioned above.

Have them painted to match your 110 then its a pretty simple install you could do yourself.

Otherwise, get a set of doors and find a body shop that will install and paint to match. Very easy job for any body shop if you can find a shop that'll take on the project, as many just want to do insurance work . Maybe look for a smaller mom and pop shop?

Nice truck!

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
-Doors because you said you needed them. Also going to assume you don't need any other fun pieces like tires or transmission or cooling system or anything like that. I think there was a guy in Florida with a set of doors he was looking to offload. Probably gone but I'd look for those. Also GET NEW HINGES.

-New Puma-style exmoor seats. I think all the Puma NTOs are gone so this is next best. Also get heated elements in them. Seats has been one of the best upgrades I've done and heated seats are awesome. They are so comfortable its amazing.

-LED headlights. At night time, they've been great. I recommend Peterson 701c headlights (get them off rock auto, get discount code elsewhere on this website. After switching, my aux lights have become redundant, I don't need them but I love having extra lights on my car. They are literally better than a 20" double stack LED light bar on back roads.

-Consideration: Block heater. If its truly cold where you are, this will be a significant help with cold starting.

-Allisport VGT turbo and intercooler. Big time TDI upgrade.

-Since you'll already have the car at the paint booth, get the interior and floor coated with Al's Heat and Noise Reducer (its like lizard skin, but not stupidly priced). Just do the whole interior from the dash to the back. Pull up carpet and do that. This will help with noise and insulation. Definitely have it sprayed in, I roll/brushed the front seat area in mine and FML that sucked.

-Rear Tire carrier. Takes weight off the rear door. Very nice. Once again I'm sure this is available here in the US, but couldn't find it off hand.

-(Personal Preference) Front recovery point. I think every vehicle should have a front recovery point and its weird that Defenders and series trucks really don't have recovery points standard. So something like this would be cheap and easy for you to install in your driveway with a helper. I'm sure there is a US distributor for these, I just can't find them. But this little guy seems to be quick and effective.

You are in NJ? I would say Red Door Rovers over in PA. I've visited his shop, he seems super legit.

Somehow this will probably be over $10k but pick and choose what works for you. Anyway, I envy you have a budget like that to spend. Should make that truck a ton better.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Try to purchase NTO or excellent door set (complete doors) if possible and pay up for quality , take it to a local body shop that you have had a good experience dealing with. If you don't need any mechanical work and just the body/ paint work then you do not need to pay mechanical hourly labor rate as body shop hourly rates are considerably less than mechanical. Good luck keep us posted and great color.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Contact Todd at Select Offroad in Lakeland, FL. He should have some great puma front doors and rear doors for you he did last time I was there a month and a 1/2 ago.
I bought 2 front doors from him and they are absolutely great.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Good looking truck. If looking to do the doors and paint and if your in Northern NJ, i have a great guy in Rockland county right across the border. Hotrod builder but loves Defenders and has worked on many of them. Did some work for me and i was very happy with work and price. If interested contact me.

MADC
201-661-1603

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also based in NJ and had a great experience with Trevor in Hershey PA. My 92 D90 had some very dodgy wiring, needed a new winshield plus sound proofing and head liner etc. He did a really nice job, on budget and kept me informed on the progress. [email protected]
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts