Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Defender Source, A bit ago I picked up this 69,000 mile 1994 NAS 90 ST #293 from a work colleague. I have been daily driving it for the last few weeks and to be frank, I am really not enjoying daily driving a soft-top ... So, anyone out there have a very clean RoW 110 (with a/c) that you'd be willing to swap for a low mileage NAS 90? I will shoot better photos this weekend. Truck is located with me in Waco, Texas A few details:

• 69,000 miles (motor is extremely strong. I have owned 4 defenders and this v8 has the most pep and life of any I've owned ... also lowest miles)
  • Factory air conditioning
  • Brand new Rovers North top (still have the original Tickford if that's your style)
  • Full Bimini top(also have original hardtop but am trying to sell separately)
  • Exmoor floor lining
  • Braided stainless oil cooler lines
  • Brand new Goodyear Wranglers
  • Brand new Tuffy box
  • Dropped and resealed the oil pan (no leaks)
  • Fresh oil change
  • Just refreshed transmission with Redline MTL
  • Fresh transfer case oil
  • Recharging a/c system this weekend
  • Transmission occasionally grinds in reverse and very rarely in first. Double-clutch in reverse and first for smooth shifts. But really just for reverse. 9 out of 10 shifts into first are smooth as can be - and 2 to 5 feel great. (happy to shoot a video for anyone interested)
  • Oxidation on transmission and transfer box
  • The frame is clean with the exception of rust on passenger side frame support (will get photo asap)
  • Footwells are clean
(And yes one more WTT post from me. I promise this is the last for quite some time. What can I say, I am a fan of the barter system - saves me on lots of taxes here in Texas)

A few photos with lots more to come:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have since removed the front cattle guard thing and the side steps. Side steps are gone, but the grill guard (damaged by PO) is in my garage. Here are photos without top and with Bimini top:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,789 Posts
You should easily be able to trade this for a ROW truck.

Did you instal the belt rail even though you aren’t keeping it? (Equivalent of convincing a girl to **** you even though you have herpes and then instantly dumping her)

Do you have the original radio?

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
I assumed when he said new RN top that it would have been for the belt rail, but I still see snaps in all the photos. Looks to be still all original. Very nice!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
A nice ROW 110 is very difficult to top. Don’t blame you, and GLWT.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have since removed the front cattle guard thing and the side steps. Side steps are gone, but the grill guard (damaged by PO) is in my garage. Here are photos without top and with Bimini top:
Ha! I did install the belt rail and (in my maybe unpopular opinion) it's much nicer. The belt system is SO easy to put on and take off - plus watertight. All that to say, It would not be hard to convert back to the button system ... just would have a few extra rivets ??‍♂Probably sacrilege, but oh well. And no, I do not have the original radio.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why don't you just get a fiberglass hard-top and bolt it in place?
I have the original fiberglass top for it, just honestly don't like the look myself - and if I am going to have a ST I would prefer to enjoy the benefits of it when weather permits. Photo from the PO with fiberglass top. The top is in his storage unit still and I have never installed it. I have an interested buyer in the hardtop alone, but have not been able to get into the storage unit yet to get updated photos of the top.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We talking straight up or plus cash? :)
Ideally it's a RoW truck that we would both agree is equal value to the NAS truck. Or I am happy to take money on top - I may be willing to toss money into the deal but it would have to be a spectacular RoW build.

·
Premium Member
1997 Defender NAS Yellow, 1995 Classic LWB White, 2016 Range Rover TD6
105 Posts
do you have a cash number in mind or are you set on the trade?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys - update here. I’ve got a handful of folks to get back to which I am working on. The sun is finally out again here in Texas so I’ll get new photos shot this weekend. Like I said, I drive her daily to and from work which involves about 5 miles on the highway. She gets up to 80mph with ease and shows no reason that she would stop there. The past week I have not encountered and grinding in reverse or first — this truck has only driven 8000 miles in the last 20 years and 800 in the last 10 years before my recent acquisition of it. Like I said, the last owner is a very close friend of mine. While it has always been maintained to high standards, I have been going through and refreshing everything just because I’m pretty particular and would rather just do the work than not. I have a auto check report that verifies the mileage history, just trying to track it down, but I will post it when I find it. A few folks have been asking about a sell price so I will say here $55,000 but I’m firm on that and as I continue to do work on the truck, that number may rise. Okay. Thanks all! More pictures coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
You could probably sell the NAS cage for more than it would cost you to convert the truck to a normal hard top SW. You could make it a 110 too if you wanted. A lot of people have done that. In the end the NAS truck will be more valuable than a RoW even if it's converted.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
You could probably sell the NAS cage for more than it would cost you to convert the truck to a normal hard top SW. You could make it a 110 too if you wanted. A lot of people have done that. In the end the NAS truck will be more valuable than a RoW even if it's converted.
BAT is telling a different story lately. Nice/modified ROW trucks are bringing the $.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
BAT is telling a different story lately. Nice/modified ROW trucks are bringing the $.
The very nice totally restored RoW trucks are fetching good money, and there have been some NAS trucks on there that have sold for pretty low numbers, but those are unrestored with rust issues. I would say an NAS in equal condition to a restored RoW will be worth more and ultimately more desirable being 50 state legal.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. Took a deposit today and she is headed to a new home. New owner will be very happy to get a strong driving NAS 90 with plenty of upside to make any upgrades or improvements he'd like to make. Super thankful for this forum and the people here who make up this community. I will report back on whatever I land on for my new DD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts