Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance for length of post. I'll get better as I post more.

Like a few other folks who have posted recently I've been actively searching for a project 110 and lurking on the forum trying to soak up as much info as possible. I think my project needs might be a bit different(or maybe not) than some of the other posters so I thought I'd ping the group to get your expertise on how best to proceed with securing a base vehicle for my project. Quick background: I'm planning to build out a 5 door 110 as a daily driver. I live in Colorado and the vehicle will spend most of its life at elevation, in mixed use for light overland trips, 4wd roads, getting to remote trailheads, highway, etc. This will not be a rock crawler. I've got the drivetrain pretty much sorted and hopefully I don't offend any of the purists out there but it will look like Cummins 2.8 swap, R380(slightly reworked), LT230(slightly reworked), existing front/rear differentials(slightly reworked). This will by no means be a heritage rebuild but there will be very few systems left untouched in this project. Likely the frame will get swapped for galvanized. Most all of the work will be done by me. I've got the time and the background.

So.... here is my dilemma. For most of the vehicles I've seen the sellers' have put a premium on the engine running, drivetrain in decent shape, etc. I get this but given the amount of work I'm going to do I care a bit less about that. The last few I've looked at literally were so rotten that all doors, pillars, sills, and bulkhead were beyond repair. All needed full replacement. I'm very familiar with the Rover history for rust and not expecting anywhere near a rust free body but there have to be better solutions out there than what I've been seeing to date. Maybe this is just the way it in in defender-land but hard to swallow paying almost $30K in some cases for what will amount to a VIN, Rear Tub, 2 axles, and a Transfer Case.

If you were starting a project like mine, what kind of vehicle would you be looking for? What are reasonable expectations that I should have? Is there anyone out there that has option(s) that might fit? etc. LHD preferred but RHD OK as well. Also R380 preferred but I can swap out the LT77 if necessary. Looking forward to creating a build post once I get going. Thanks All!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was one of the posters looking for a 110. I will say one the LHD 110 posted up in Washington about a month ago on here is really clean. I had a friend go look at it and from a body perspective it is a super clean 110. No rust on bulk head, some surface rust on the frame. Only real thing that needed replacing was bubbling on the doors and the rear cross member ($300 part).

It currently has a 2.5 NA, so if you're going to do a 2.8 swap this would be a good foundation. I actually chatted with the owner about doing that exact swap while looking at the 110, and he had a full build sheet with estimated costs and some great links to do the build (would suggest looking at Quick Draw Brand that sells both the crate 2.8 and an adapter for R380).

All in all that one was a solid rig, and being sold by a straightforward, honest seller with a lot of experience.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bought a rust bucket from south France and learned the hard way. It’s a good question to ask. In my personal opinion, go for a South African galvanized truck. I’ve made the switch and have one on a boat now

If you plan to change the engine, the RH to LH conversion isn’t hard. The mechanics are easy. Price of dash pieces is the hardest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will be looking to sell my 5 door 1987 RHD 110 within the next two months. It has a 200TDI and soft-top. I also have the hardtop, side windows, rear door (rusted a bit). The frame is good but not perfect. What that means is all rust has been addressed but has a few patches. All done by a professional shop (Wits End Fabrication in Maryland). New rear cross member (the one with extensions) and hitch (old one was rusted but got damaged pulling someone out of mud), new rear spring mounts, new left front outrigger. Bulkhead is good but left side footwell has a plate covering a bad spot. The rest of the frame is solid. Doors are good enough but the right driver side door has a dent in it. It could use a paint job. My plan is to clean up some loose ends (broke the key so need to replace, re-wired the fuse panel and want to finish it with a better box) and post for sale. If I sell locally, I will likely get it painted first. The interior is the country fabric seats but I have the exmorr rubber floor matting, mud seat covers, heated seats, new heater coil last year). The bumper is ARB with a winch.

This truck is not a garage queen. I use it for what it was built for. No issue driving 7 hours into the mountains, then doing every trail possible and then driving home. Love the truck but with work/family, I can't hang onto a "toy" like this. This isn't necessarily a sales add (but seems to read like one now) but to describe a truck that will be coming on the market for the several WTB post. Haven't figured price but pretty sure it will be under $25K for this forum. Not looking to cash in. Would love to see the truck go to someone that will continue to use it for what it was designed to do. I love driving to all the events, doing all the obstacles on the trails and then driving home past the off-road vehicles being towed on a trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Where is CO are you? Do you currently need to have the vehicle inspected for title AND tags? The reason I ask is down in the Denver metro you will need to have a DR2365 form completed if it is a diesel. It does not matter if it was registered in another state. (Secure the DR form before you make the engine swap)

If you do not require emissions or inspection where you live then you can probably disregard the above. The DR 2365 process is a bit of a chore FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. Just a heads up that these WTB ads really belong in the Wanted or Misc Chit Chat sections. This section is for members who are actually selling trucks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was one of the posters looking for a 110. I will say one the LHD 110 posted up in Washington about a month ago on here is really clean. I had a friend go look at it and from a body perspective it is a super clean 110. No rust on bulk head, some surface rust on the frame. Only real thing that needed replacing was bubbling on the doors and the rear cross member ($300 part).

It currently has a 2.5 NA, so if you're going to do a 2.8 swap this would be a good foundation. I actually chatted with the owner about doing that exact swap while looking at the 110, and he had a full build sheet with estimated costs and some great links to do the build (would suggest looking at Quick Draw Brand that sells both the crate 2.8 and an adapter for R380).

All in all that one was a solid rig, and being sold by a straightforward, honest seller with a lot of experience.
Thanks ...chip. Reached out to check on the WA post. Agree on the 2.5NA as a good candidate for 2.8 swap and I've already dug deep on the quickdraw adapters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is CO are you? Do you currently need to have the vehicle inspected for title AND tags? The reason I ask is down in the Denver metro you will need to have a DR2365 form completed if it is a diesel. It does not matter if it was registered in another state. (Secure the DR form before you make the engine swap)

If you do not require emissions or inspection where you live then you can probably disregard the above. The DR 2365 process is a bit of a chore FYI.
Thanks ...searcher. Good advice. I'm in Northern El Paso county and it appears that emissions inspections will be required for diesel vehicles. I'm still gathering details from the DMV to ensure it will be legal once all the work is done. Let me know of any additional advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. Just a heads up that these WTB ads really belong in the Wanted or Misc Chit Chat sections. This section is for members who are actually selling trucks
Thanks ..Surf and thanks for getting the post relocated to its appropriate home. I'll know going forward....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be looking to sell my 5 door 1987 RHD 110 within the next two months. It has a 200TDI and soft-top. I also have the hardtop, side windows, rear door (rusted a bit). The frame is good but not perfect. What that means is all rust has been addressed but has a few patches. All done by a professional shop (Wits End Fabrication in Maryland). New rear cross member (the one with extensions) and hitch (old one was rusted but got damaged pulling someone out of mud), new rear spring mounts, new left front outrigger. Bulkhead is good but left side footwell has a plate covering a bad spot. The rest of the frame is solid. Doors are good enough but the right driver side door has a dent in it. It could use a paint job. My plan is to clean up some loose ends (broke the key so need to replace, re-wired the fuse panel and want to finish it with a better box) and post for sale. If I sell locally, I will likely get it painted first. The interior is the country fabric seats but I have the exmorr rubber floor matting, mud seat covers, heated seats, new heater coil last year). The bumper is ARB with a winch.

This truck is not a garage queen. I use it for what it was built for. No issue driving 7 hours into the mountains, then doing every trail possible and then driving home. Love the truck but with work/family, I can't hang onto a "toy" like this. This isn't necessarily a sales add (but seems to read like one now) but to describe a truck that will be coming on the market for the several WTB post. Haven't figured price but pretty sure it will be under $25K for this forum. Not looking to cash in. Would love to see the truck go to someone that will continue to use it for what it was designed to do. I love driving to all the events, doing all the obstacles on the trails and then driving home past the off-road vehicles being towed on a trailer. View attachment 460699 View attachment 460700
Thanks ....Tadel. I can't quite DM yet(almost). If you could DM me I'd be interested in discussing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts