Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my understanding, not all 3.9's turn the same direction. I have a 3.9 whose threads on the front of the water pump (where the fan spins on) indicate that the fan tightens on the threads in the counterclockwise direction, as viewed from the front bumper, and thus the engine and fan turn clockwise when running. I have a fan from a Disco that doesnt turn that direction. I have been scratching my head about this for some time now. Legend has it that Land Rover, in their infinite wisdom, changed the crank rotation direction of the 3.9 at some point. Is this correct?

In other words, I require a fan that threads on the water pump counterclockwise, and spins clockwise when running. Anyone have one?

TIA,
Kent

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Turn the engine on, check which way the fan turns and turn in the same way to unscrew

I'm assuming you have a v-belt engine, right?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn the engine on, check which way the fan turns and turn in the same way to unscrew

I'm assuming you have a v-belt engine, right?
Yes, v-belt. I don't have a fan to unscrew though. I need one.

ForumRunner_20150625_123239.png

Not sure if you can see the threads in that pic. Engine turns clockwise, as looking from the front of the truck.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The engines turn the same direction, it's just the water pump/fan that is standard or reverse rotation depending on if it's a V-belt or Serpentine belt engine. V-belt engines are reverse thread on the fan clutch where it screws onto the water pump. I have several V-belt fans with clutches available.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Do you want to go electric?
I have a dual Flexalite setup--26"x15"; it was on a RRC.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a fan/clutch from an RRC. I'll see if it works when it arrives this week. If it doesnt, I just might go electric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts