Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
maybe you know and this doesn't change your plan, but the shifter is in a different spot compared to a 90.

I do have a GEMS flywheel that I just removed. It'll need to be resurfaced

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
I know of a couple pedal boxes that have the clutch holes

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all! I was hoping to find the whole enchilada to facilitate an Lt230 conversion at the same time, but if I have to piece it together, so be it. I know there's a soccer mom out there somewhere that's aching for a new car . . .

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Tony, hit me up if you have any questions about the conversion. I put a DI R380 and LT230 in my '91 RRC about 4 years ago, fabbed up some pieces (like the pedal box) and took a few pics along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Stay auto......Ray will tell you.....trust me, and then a 2.5 NAD upgrade.....

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
It's a little different than than, Jeff. The Disco pedal plate will interchange with a '95 RRC, (but you can simply swap the pedals onto the '95 RRC plate too) But to fit a '94 and earlier (hard dash) RRC, the Disco plate is taller and the steering column goes through it too. There's also a dash support between the pedals on the hard dash RRC and the pedals are on separate pivots whereas the '95 RRC/DI pedals are on a common shaft. I wound up cutting the pedal mounting brackets off of both plates and fabbing them a bit to make everything work, rather than sourcing an early pedal plate from England.

BTW, you in the house yet?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I definitely will the next time I'm over that way.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures and any guidance would be very welcome. Was it worth the effort?

=TigerDan;651750]It's a little different than than, Jeff. The Disco pedal plate will interchange with a '95 RRC, (but you can simply swap the pedals onto the '95 RRC plate too) But to fit a '94 and earlier (hard dash) RRC, the Disco plate is taller and the steering column goes through it too. There's also a dash support between the pedals on the hard dash RRC and the pedals are on separate pivots whereas the '95 RRC/DI pedals are on a common shaft. I wound up cutting the pedal mounting brackets off of both plates and fabbing them a bit to make everything work, rather than sourcing an early pedal plate from England.

BTW, you in the house yet?[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've never regretted doing it. I have a '95 that I bought to flip, hate the automatic, If I were keeping it it'd get a 5-speed too.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
It's a little different than than, Jeff. The Disco pedal plate will interchange with a '95 RRC, (but you can simply swap the pedals onto the '95 RRC plate too) But to fit a '94 and earlier (hard dash) RRC, the Disco plate is taller and the steering column goes through it too. There's also a dash support between the pedals on the hard dash RRC and the pedals are on separate pivots whereas the '95 RRC/DI pedals are on a common shaft. I wound up cutting the pedal mounting brackets off of both plates and fabbing them a bit to make everything work, rather than sourcing an early pedal plate from England.

BTW, you in the house yet?
Dan- I've heard mixed stories in the past. You are saying without uncertainty that the D1 5 speed pedal box will bolt right into the soft dash 95?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Well...I guess I can't say it without a slight bit of uncertainty as I haven't actually tried to do it. But I've compared the pedal boxes from both and haven't been able to find any difference between them. For that matter, as I mentioned before the pedals are on a common shaft for the soft dash RRC/DI, and the single pedal for the automatic is the same way, it's on a long shaft which goes all the way across so it should be simple enough to unbolt the shaft and slide it out, remove the single brake pedal and install the brake and clutch pedals from a DI, then drill the hole for the clutch master cylinder. I don't know if there's room under the dash to do this in place, but I plan on giving it a shot when I find a '95 that I want to keep and convert it to 5-speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts