Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Since a lot of you have a much longer experience with Defenders than I do, I wanted to get your opinion on a few things please.

I am looking to buy a 110 station wagon. I will probably do a full restoration, keep it for a bit and then sell it.

1. What advise would you have for a first time project?
2. What engine do you recommend?
3. Do you recommend an engine swap to LS3 ? If so, what would be an average cost for a swap?
4. Do you have a good source of info for legally importing a defender?
5. Do you have a good source of info for registering the vehicle? What should I be careful of?
6. Do any of you know a good shop for a complete restoration in VA/MD/DC area?

I really appreciate any and all help and I am very open to any recommendations.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I do have a LHD , 1994 Defender 110 Tdi. Not A total basket case but for sure needs a restoration. Asking $ 19,500 for it.

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
Your questions are so open to every opinion, you may not get a lot of people to invest the time to give long lengthy open ended answers.
Then if you do the answers would likely be one persons opinion.

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to drop by my house in Fairfax I can show you several defenders in various configuration. None are for sale but it would give you some points of comparisons.
Hi JimC

I would really appreciate that.
That’s really kind of you.
I will PM you and let me know when is good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your questions are so open to every opinion, you may not get a lot of people to invest the time to give long lengthy open ended answers.
Then if you do the answers would likely be one persons opinion.
Thank you for that.
Can you give me some feedback as to how to maybe narrow it down?

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a LHD , 1994 Defender 110 Tdi. Not A total basket case but for sure needs a restoration. Asking $ 19,500 for it.
View attachment 449627
Hi Johan

Can you give me a little more info and a few more pics please

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Legit and reasonable questions. Most people here I’d bet learned by trial and error and following all the forums on this board regularly.
Thank You sir

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have as much experience as a number of people on here but I am currently doing a "rolling" restoration to a 90. I can offer a little insight.

1. What advice would you have for a first time project? It might be easier to find a less demanding project than a full restoration for your first project. Almost any truck for sale needs some issues addressed and there is a lot to be done that improves a truck or extends it's life. Frequently full restoration projects drag on for years and occasionally result in the owner giving up or just wanting out. Also, full restoration means different things to different people. In my opinion a full restoration means stripping the body, driveline, steering, suspension, axles, wiring, and brakes from the chassis and checking or reconditioning every part of the truck. It is quite a big job and you need time, space, time, money, time, tools, and more time.

It sounds like you're considering having someone else do the restoration. That's a whole different thing and I only know that one should be quite careful who they decide to bring a truck to for a full restoration. I would imagine one would have to be quite specific about exactly what work is being done too. Additionally it will be quite expensive and I would be surprised if you could later sell the truck for much of a profit.

2. What engine do you recommend? Everyone has their own opinion here. Search the forum for engine swap ideas. Also check out NAS-ROW as they have organized threads regarding swaps. Basically decide do you want a diesel or a gas engine and go from there.

3. Do you recommend an engine swap to LS3 ? If so, what would be an average cost for a swap? Again, search the forums. This has been discussed. There's even a spreadsheet somewhere with all the costs broken down by item IIRC. Cost will depend on how much work you do yourself or who you take it to if you hire it out.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can tell you who NOT to buy from: Mad Rovers Imports in Durham NC.

Tom is a piece of **** and so are his cars. I'd send you to my Insta showing my 110 before and after I fixed everything right, but Tom got pissed I was showing pics of what he sold me and reported my photos as copyright and trademark infringement. Funny as they where taken in my garage!!! So insta shut down my account.

There are lots of great honest sellers on here, do you research and don't think because it's a close knit community everyone is honest. There are one or two who ruin it.

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you who NOT to buy from: Mad Rovers Imports in Durham NC.

Tom is a piece of **** and so are his cars. I'd send you to my Insta showing my 110 before and after I fixed everything right, but Tom got pissed I was showing pics of what he sold me and reported my photos as copyright and trademark infringement. Funny as they where taken in my garage!!! So insta shut down my account.

There are lots of great honest sellers on here, do you research and don't think because it's a close knit community everyone is honest. There are one or two who ruin it.
/
I am sorry about your experience brother and thank you for the heads up.
Do you mind emailing them to me please?

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have as much experience as a number of people on here but I am currently doing a "rolling" restoration to a 90. I can offer a little insight.

1. What advice would you have for a first time project? It might be easier to find a less demanding project than a full restoration for your first project. Almost any truck for sale needs some issues addressed and there is a lot to be done that improves a truck or extends it's life. Frequently full restoration projects drag on for years and occasionally result in the owner giving up or just wanting out. Also, full restoration means different things to different people. In my opinion a full restoration means stripping the body, driveline, steering, suspension, axles, wiring, and brakes from the chassis and checking or reconditioning every part of the truck. It is quite a big job and you need time, space, time, money, time, tools, and more time.

It sounds like you're considering having someone else do the restoration. That's a whole different thing and I only know that one should be quite careful who they decide to bring a truck to for a full restoration. I would imagine one would have to be quite specific about exactly what work is being done too. Additionally it will be quite expensive and I would be surprised if you could later sell the truck for much of a profit.

2. What engine do you recommend? Everyone has their own opinion here. Search the forum for engine swap ideas. Also check out NAS-ROW as they have organized threads regarding swaps. Basically decide do you want a diesel or a gas engine and go from there.

3. Do you recommend an engine swap to LS3 ? If so, what would be an average cost for a swap? Again, search the forums. This has been discussed. There's even a spreadsheet somewhere with all the costs broken down by item IIRC. Cost will depend on how much work you do yourself or who you take it to if you hire it out.

Hope that helps a little.
This is amazing!
I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I've never purchased a truck from Johan but I have purchased a kit to convert a 300 TDI to an HS 2.8. His parts and support were excellent and I think that this community agrees Johan is a reputable and trustworthy individual. There are others on this board Ken at Surfside is another I can recommend.

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
Second for Johan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts