Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Now that I think about it, I remember having some issue with my ECU. A short in the harness. I did some research on line and saw a service that would/could rebuild the ECU (14CU). Stated they could have it back to you within a week. Guaranteed work. Anybody heard of them/use them?

FYI, the company is call G7 Computers, out of NY. Just incase anybody else has an ECU issue. I definitely have an ECU issue, amongst other things. Poor fuel, check engine light, intermittent stalling when I come to a stop, etc.. I'll be giving them a try.

The ECU sits in a prone spot for water to run down inside and get to the main plug. Pull the plug off and peel the rubber boot back and look for "greening" on the pins. If so you can clean them and then pack it full of diod-grease. You can also open up the ECU and spray it out and then seal the rotted gasket and put it back together.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
What is the "CEI" module? And again, how/why is rain water reaching parts (old or new) under a level, closed bonnet with no outside humidity (California)?

California absolutely does have humidity. I live in the high desert, my original post was happening in said desert during our mostly brief rain season. I can only speak to what happened to my 90, but you found this stating you had a similar issue. Mine would not start if it had been sitting while it was raining outside, whether it was parked outside or in the garage. It just had to get humid enough to have an effect on the ignition amplifier. My final diagnosis came when I was up in the central valley for work and parked overnight in heavy fog. It wouldn't start in the morning. I had a can of WD 40 in the truck, sprayed it on the ignition amp and the 90 fired right up. Later that day it was parked during a heavy rain. It wouldn't start so I did the same thing, got the same result. It made it an easy diagnosis without throwing any more money at the problem. I would suggest the same since it's a cheap and easy way to check. Depending on what part of the state you're in, its supposed to rain this week. With any luck, something simple could turn out to be the issue.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.