Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tithonus Tdi on 37’s, 90 Tdi/auto, D-I Tdi 5-speed
5,379 Posts
Looking for one, or anything, as well- after Chris obviously.

Chris- have you decided against shortening the cage? Also, have you considered add a hoop system under the cage, and add sleeves for the cage to pass through, similar to the B hoop on a NAS? That would make the cage an exocage so to speak- thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking for one, or anything, as well- after Chris obviously.

Chris- have you decided against shortening the cage? Also, have you considered add a hoop system under the cage, and add sleeves for the cage to pass through, similar to the B hoop on a NAS? That would make the cage an exocage so to speak- thoughts?
I decided against shortening because I don't care much for the X-bars over the tub bulkhead. I'm headed out to the desert for a few weeks and needed some kind of soft top quickly and didn't have time to do the full cage the way I want to.

Eventual plan is to have a low cage built up to pattern the hoop set but still connect to the front cage where it comes back over the tops of the doors and meets the bulkhead part. I recently scored some super-rare Genuine "clip, SLR" mounts so I can mount my L1A1 on the bulkhead once the X-bars are gone.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I'm headed out to the desert for a few weeks and needed some kind of soft top quickly and didn't have time to do the full cage the way I want to.
Do you need a full top? You could always just do a bikini or half cab if you don't need the whole thing for the trip.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris, I don't think Exmoor Tops will fit a Tithonus.
They make a Wolf-specific top that's supposed to fit:

Hoods : WOLF HOODS

Have you heard otherwise?

Do you need a full top? You could always just do a bikini or half cab if you don't need the whole thing for the trip.
No, a bikini would probably be okay but the shape of the Tithonus roll cage is different. The added height creates a different shape for the part that sits over the cab.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
No, a bikini would probably be okay but the shape of the Tithonus roll cage is different. The added height creates a different shape for the part that sits over the cab.
Yeah I meant a bikini with straps would work in a pinch since they're fairly versatile. The material provided for the actual bikini should be enough to cover the cabin (even for a Tithonus), and if not then it wouldn't be by much...but would still be enough to provide plenty of shade for the cabin.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Couldn't Dale just take it off the truck he had on eBay or was that the hard top one
Hardtop, in fact both of mine are HT, hence the need for a s/t kit.

Thanks Ken, keep me posted.

Chris, I am still thinking the whole cage alteration through, but had not heard of the Exmoor option....

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
They make a Wolf-specific top that's supposed to fit:

Hoods : WOLF HOODS

Have you heard otherwise?

I don't see the roll cage on the trucks in the pics. Also, we sent Exmoor a brand new 110 Tithonus top about a year and a half ago so they could make a pattern. They said they needed to take apart my top to do so. We declined and asked for it back. With that said , it has yet to be returned to us.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't Pablo Cocito just fit a standard 110 soft top to his tithonus with minor modification ?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum...your-defender-today-47905-117.html#post649299
That's the approach that Dale and I have been chatting about. It's a pretty good way to do it if you're otherwise happy with the Tithonus cage. It's just not an option for me because the x-bars get in the way of a gun rack. Sleeping in the truck is also an issue. I'm tall and I would need to make a little extension of my sleeping platform to fit my feet forward of the bulkhead but it's just not possible with the x-bars.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Also, if a 'subframe' could be fitted allowing the cage to remain, it could become an exocage above the roof, allowing for rack attachment. Just new parameters to play with on the erector set.

Got confirmation the Wolf Exmoor will NOT fit Tithonus, sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got confirmation the Wolf Exmoor will NOT fit Tithonus, sorry.
Is there a particular reason why? I just dropped the coin to airfreight one in. People on the Tithonus/Wolf group on Facebook are saying that the cages are identical.

The only difference I see is the tube that comes from the front windscreen rollcage, above the door, and then screws into the main rollcage about 9" behind and just above the doors. I figured that I would cut a keyhole out of the top to slide it over the connection between the cages, similar to how a NAS stop top does it.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Is there a particular reason why? I just dropped the coin to airfreight one in. People on the Tithonus/Wolf group on Facebook are saying that the cages are identical.

The only difference I see is the tube that comes from the front windscreen rollcage, above the door, and then screws into the main rollcage about 9" behind and just above the doors. I figured that I would cut a keyhole out of the top to slide it over the connection between the cages, similar to how a NAS stop top does it.
Chris, we are away on vacation, but I did get to talk to RN, and they checked with Exmoor to find out. Sadly I didn't get the why, sorry

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
My research has led me to this. The Wolf and the Tithonus are identical except the front exo cage. My understanding is that there wasn't a top made for the Tithonus, it was a Wolf top that was manipulated to fit the Tithonus. I spoke to the manufacture and that is what they told me. I followed what they told me to do and it worked out fine. The cutting of the top is a hard thing to swallow.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.