Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be common knowledge to some but I just figured it out recently. My truck is a Bitsa 110. Bits of 93 NAS bits of 85 RHD and other.

When I did my RHD to LHD drive wiper mod I noticed the the sweep was pathetic. I would have to have the wipers clocked up 45 Degrees at park to get a reasonable sweep across my field of view. Wiper sweep can not be adjusted. It is based on the gear in the wiper motor and potentially the wiper wheel boxes.

Here is my original wiper motor gear, notice the 110 stamp.

The interwebs eventually led me to Stafford Vehicle Components Limited and their selection of 14W wiper parts:

Wiper Systems & Parts - Classic &AMP Vintage Car Parts from SVC - The Best Prices

I ordered the 130 Degree wiper drive gear:

Now I get a full sweep from:

to:

I hope this helps someone out. I'm happy. My next wiper project is using a D2 wiper stalk with all its functions... maybe.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
would love to see the before and after full sweeps for comparison, if you have it

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Randy and Ed. I don't think I came across useful while searching around here on the subject so I'm glad it helped.

Thank you Mack. I'll post up a build thread or something this weekend.

Al, I really wish I had taken the before pics, it slipped my mind. I'll try and dig up a pick with how high I had my wipers parked.

FYI S-V-C shipping was pretty quick and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1988 Defender 110 - FFR
211 Posts
I cannot see pictures in this post
("Please update your account to allow third party hosting")
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I cannot see pictures in this post
("Please update your account to allow third party hosting")
Anyone else have this problem?
A few months ago the Pirates at PhotoBucket started blocking (AKA holding for ransom) links to members' pictures. The cheapest upgrade level that allows members to link off-site is $399.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Just found this mod video for wiper sweep and wanted to find if it was already posted (yes, use that search function folks!). This thread was close enough. Her is a vid for those that want to do it themselves. Thanks Britannica!

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
If I remember correctly, the gears should all have the same number of teeth.
The sweep is determined by the location of the post on the metal part of the gear assembly that moves the cross head and rack back and forth, sort of like the piston arm on a steam powered locomotive.
Had similar issues with a MGZB Varitone Magnette I restored years ago.
When I first tried with "upgraded" wiper components, had no knowledge of the different cause and effect of the sweep of the arms.
When the wipers were engaged, it swept all the way down to the fender.
After different wheel boxes and gears, everything worked fine, but it took several adjustments.
It's good that you were so successful with making only a gear change, Oscar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts