Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That is nice. My quick search was all in the $1k-1200 mark. And some looked like those!!

Once again, I guess its however far you are willing to travel.
I’m finding that the guys selling used ones don’t really want to ship or if they do its astronomically expensive so its looking like finding a local seller is the way to go. I’ve got a lead so we will see how it goes. I’m not in a hurry so that helps too.

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions and experiences. As always very helpful!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did a search for winch, winch review, etc. on the forum and there are tons of posts with winches for sale and tons of winch bumper topics but I can’t find anything specific to reviews on winches themselves. Does anyone know of posts that would shed light on the various winch features, brands and models?

If not, can I ask for your feedback? I’m looking to buy a winch to mount on my 110. I plan to fabricate my own bumper and would like to set it up for use on the front and back. I don’t anticipate heavy use of the winch as I’m really not a very extreme driver but would like sometime for the “what-if” scenarios.

I watched a good YouTube video review of a bunch of winches filmed in Australia and the Runva winch came out on top. Any experience with this brand?

I’ve also seen a few random comments on other groups about the Terrafirma A12000. Any experience out there with this winch?

I of course know that the Warn seems to be the preferred winch out there and also the most expensive. Just trying to sort through all the options really having zero experience at this point. Thanks for the feedback!
I did a search for winch, winch review, etc. on the forum and there are tons of posts with winches for sale and tons of winch bumper topics but I can’t find anything specific to reviews on winches themselves. Does anyone know of posts that would shed light on the various winch features, brands and models?

If not, can I ask for your feedback? I’m looking to buy a winch to mount on my 110. I plan to fabricate my own bumper and would like to set it up for use on the front and back. I don’t anticipate heavy use of the winch as I’m really not a very extreme driver but would like sometime for the “what-if” scenarios.

I watched a good YouTube video review of a bunch of winches filmed in Australia and the Runva winch came out on top. Any experience with this brand?

I’ve also seen a few random comments on other groups about the Terrafirma A12000. Any experience out there with this winch?

I of course know that the Warn seems to be the preferred winch out there and also the most expensive. Just trying to sort through all the options really having zero experience at this point. Thanks for the feedback!
id check out some Land Rover sites. They all sell winches. Warn is great but there are comparable winches that won’t cost you as much.

Warn is a great winch but there are comparable brands that won’t cost you as much. It really depends on the demand your going to put on the winch. Many Land Rover sites offer different brands and sizes of winches. Also check out 4WD site. If your making modifications to bumper or a new one. You have tons of options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A excellent winch is the Warn VR12-S Winch. In order to provide you with better control, this winch has a load-holding cone brake and is capable of lifting up to 12,000 pounds of weight. This winch can be mounted on your Jeep, truck, or SUV either upright or low-profile. It includes a one-piece tie plate for improved performance and strength. For the winch to be securely mounted to your Jeep, you will need a corresponding bumper or mounting plate.

·
Premium Member
Tithonus Tdi on 37’s, 90 Tdi/auto, D-I Tdi 5-speed
5,363 Posts
Sadly you don't realize the importance of s solid winch ( or wench for that matter) until you need it. The cheap Chinese options are great until they have a little age, like a year or less in most cases. Then when you actually need it only to find, bad solenoids, etc. It is truly a 'get what you pay for' scenario. And since it is for emergencies, get what will work, or skip it all together and avoid the frustration having a false sense of security.
Just my 2c. I also never bought 'cheap' climbing ropes or accessories- why would you? Once you have a need, a real need, you will convert to top quality recovery gear...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts