Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the oil in the 110 yesterday. Level was fine but the oil showing was not as dark black as usual. Wiped the dipstick on a white paper towel and dammed if the oil doesn't have a green tinge to it. WTF? Only thing I can figure is either I've got a head gasket problem and/or a cracked head that is letting anti freeze into the oil. Engine is a 300Tdi, was running fine the day before and I didn't notice the temp gauge go out of it's normal middle zone.

Any other reason this might happen and is there anything I can check or test before ripping into things? Timing belt was scheduled for sometime this month. Looks like things are going to get a bit more involved now.

Brett

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
Antifreeze would most likely show up as a milky mix.
Watch it closely and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
How does it taste?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shell Rotella 5w40. First thing I did was feel it and smell it. Both seemed normal. Sorry Dave, didn't do a taste test. Might have but have nothing to compare it to. I would have thought it would be a milky colour too if it had mixed with anti freeze. This is just sort of Canadian Goose poop green. Will post up a pic.

Think tomorrow I will do an oil change then keep a very close eye on things for a few days with minimum km's between checks.

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
You might send a sample off to get it analyzed.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
your using t6 synthetic ?
the Rotella products have a green tint and is compounded if you use DIESEL KLEEN + CETANE BOOST

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
At least I know how well his leg of lamb tastes from Saturday!

Had forgotten, but when I used Rotella, it did have a very slight green shade.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Brad Penn Racing Oil is green. the only rotella or for that matter oil Ive drained drained from a diesel has been black

·
Premium Member
10,282 Posts
Who?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Regular Rotella, not the synthetic. Here is a pic with a sample from the Tdi on the left and my 2.5NA on the right, same oil in both engines. Colour is off slightly but you can certainly see the difference.

I noticed today while checking the dipstick that the oil is slightly high. I don't remember it being like that the last time I checked it. Always careful not to over fill. Something doesn't seem right.

Brett

1 - 20 of 23 Posts