Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16 pounds of pork shoulder on the smoker tonight and would like to serve it with homemade BBQ sauce tomorrow. I was thinking vinegar based over tomato based would be better with pulled pork but please share what sauce you make.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Vinegar base Sauce is just water, typically Apple cider vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Lots: Ketchup, brown sugar, water, garlic
A bit to your liking: Tapatio hot sauce, kosher salt, white vinegar, worchestershire, pepper, lemon juice, mustard, smoke seasoning from Costco.

I've found that this gives you a nice sweet sauce that punches you with a bit of hot on the back of the tongue.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've always liked this sop from the virtualweberbullet.com site

Southern SopRemaining Southern Succor Rub (See note)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons ground black pepper2 Tablespoons table salt
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepperWarm ingredients over low heat, stirring occasionally.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Dave!!

I have 16 pounds of pork shoulder on the smoker tonight and would like to serve it with homemade BBQ sauce tomorrow. I was thinking vinegar based over tomato based would be better with pulled pork but please share what sauce you make.
Not necessarily a bbq sauce but I'm telling you, the best sauce eva....

Whisky creme sauce

1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 table spoons of soy sauce
3 table spoons of heavy whipping cream
Squeeze of lemon juice
Lil salt and pepper
3/4 cup of Jameson
1/4 cup ketchup

Put in sauce pan slowly bring to high simmer.

You are welcome boys and girls....:tounge

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've always liked this sop from the virtualweberbullet.com site

Southern SopRemaining Southern Succor Rub (See note)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons ground black pepper2 Tablespoons table salt
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepperWarm ingredients over low heat, stirring occasionally.
This one sounds good and I'd at least triple it for that amount of meat. Maybe add a tiny bit of liquid smoke, red pepper flake and garlic too.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Is there any other sauce besides Vinegar Based? I'm from Eastern NC so we use this on everything.

Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne, Brown Sugar or Honey, Salt, Worcestershire, Lemon and a few other spices.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Traeger Texas Grill. Wood pellet is the way to go.
My brother has one of those. It's a nice set up. Kind of takes the fun out of checking the temp all the time. Though I can dial in the Weber rather well even for overnight cooks. Putting a leg of lamb on Sunday… kind of a smoked lamb vindaloo experiment.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Traeger Texas Grill. Wood pellet is the way to go.
I use a Kamado Joe and have had very good results. I've considered a Traeger. Which one do you have? You smoke Brisket too?

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts