Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone... I have a colleague out on the east coast who really works hard to get stuff done for us. In fact he worked such crazy hours last month he worked through what he thought was indigestion and ended up with a burst appendix and 2 weeks in the ICU.

I know he is a big Whisky and Cigar guy, if we wanted to send a "thank you" care package his way, what would be a some good but not crazy expensive choices? Talking in the 50-100 dollar range. I don't know if he is a scotch or bourbon or whatever fan.

I'm a beer guy so I am out of my depth here. Explain it like I am 5 years old.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Bushmill 12-15 year old/ Noah's mill 12 yr both are some the best!! Noah's mill is a small brand and I have to order it by the case bc our ABC doesn't stock it! Usually around $50 and Bushmilll is around $60-75. You won't go wrong with what ever you get him!

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Bourbon: Parker's Heritage
Scotch: Bowmore or Caol Ila for the stout of heart or Glenfarclas for the more timid.

Cigars are like a garbage fire burning four inches away from your face. I am totally out on that category.

·
Premium Member
5,171 Posts
I've always maintained that scotch is one of the few things in this world where cost is nearly perfectly correlated to quality.

As for Cigars, why not go to our own Eric Stockmann and Black Label Trading?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Arturo Fuente Double Chateau (in Maduro if you can find it) is a great moderately priced cigar. Usually around $10.

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
As I'm sure you know, there are many different types of Whiskeys, and probably an equal variation for cigars...if anyone knows his preference for either, then that'll help you out tremendously. Plenty of others here have their allegiance to other brands, but I'm a big fan of Knob Creek - and if he likes the hard stuff, then I'd recommend a bottle of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve. Easy to find in stores, and great qaulity:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyreviews/fr/Knob-Creek-Single-Barrel-Reserve-Bourbon-Whiskey.htm

And for cigars, I'm a fan of CAO Brazilias, pretty much any Montecristo, etc. You could always get him say 5 singles of a certain cigar, or mix them up between a few. You'll come in right at your budget between the Knob Creek and say 5 cigars of some of these:

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=70/CAO-BRAZILIA.html

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=314/MONTECRISTO.html

Full Cigar list (family friend's company - probably/easily some of the best prices you'll see):

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=cigars

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Im a beer guy myself, but I do enjoy whisky. Bookers, Bakers, or Pappy if you lucky for bourbon. I usually Smoke Arturo Fuente Hemingways.

I know its personal taste, but I prefer a nice aged rum with cigars. Flor de Cana.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
delete, nothing constructive

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Scotch all depends upon the region where it is made and a good scotch is 100% worth the money. I would recommend 16 year old Scapa. It isnt peaty, has a slight bit of smoke and a honey after taste.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Bushmill 12-15 year old/ Noah's mill 12 yr both are some the best!! Noah's mill is a small brand and I have to order it by the case bc our ABC doesn't stock it! Usually around $50 and Bushmilll is around $60-75. You won't go wrong with what ever you get him!
Brian Let me know when you get another case then!

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Will do man, my buddies and I usually go in on a case!

·
16,553 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Ron Zacapa rum. Voted best rum on the planet. Even scotch and whisky guys will love this.

now that black label "Last Rights" cigars are on the market and are just a fantastics smoke.

CAO was my favorite brand, but there quality has declined in last few years. The brazilian is one of their best, but it is VERY bold. You need to know he likes bold before getting that one.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Macallan 12 year old is a good everyday bottle of Single Malt that runs around ~50 give or take.. Macallan 18 year is a quite a bit more spendy but oh so smooth. Mac 18 is what got my wife hooked on single malt scotch.

·
16,553 Posts
CAO was my favorite brand, but there quality has declined in last few years. The brazilian is one of their best, but it is VERY bold. You need to know he likes bold before getting that one.
x2 on the bold flavor! Love it. In terms of quality, I still think they taste great, they may not be quite as tight as they were a few years ago, but I just had one last week, and it still lasted me about an hour on the dot.

I also had this Cohiba last week (freaking amazing) but you can't really get them in the US. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
x2 on the bold flavor! Love it. In terms of quality, I still think they taste great, they may not be quite as tight as they were a few years ago, but I just had one last week, and it still lasted me about an hour on the dot.

I also had this Cohiba last week (freaking amazing) but you can't really get them in the US. :)

I'll be in Vancouver in 2 weeks and will keep that in mind! I have had many Cohibas and yet to have one I like; that's true for any Cuban. I have a feeling the best Cuban's never make it to our shores, and the rest are seriously counterfitted.

PS, who else has a permanent humidor in their D other than me? (yes-the pelican)

1 - 20 of 121 Posts