Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Defender Santana NA 2.5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new member here, located in Utah. My "Depresor: bomba de vacio" / Vacuum Pump seized and needs to be replaced. But I've had a really hard time finding 1) a place in the US with this part OR 2) a place in Spain willing to ship it to me in Utah. Hoping you veteran D90 Santana owners have already figured this out :)

This is the part which I found on a listing in Spain: MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Depresor land rover santana autoplas

About my car: 1991 Defender Santana 90, with what is "probably" a 2.5 12j N/A (could also be the 2.2, but not completely sure yet, i'm a new owner)

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Get hold of Zack at RN he had one a while ago. ZACKS da man

Reactions: phoenix37

·
Super Moderator
13,543 Posts
Pull the cover off and see what is going on inside. It might be repairable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the cover off and see what is going on inside. It might be repairable.
the pully is split and sheared, so I'd have to have a new part machined. I'm assuming it's cheaper to find the whole unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,543 Posts
the pully is split and sheared, so I'd have to have a new part machined. I'm assuming it's cheaper to find the whole unit.
Pulleys are usually standard items.

The one in your link looks like something completely different.

Most likely you will need to find your own solution. There are various ways to go. There does not seem to be an online Santana community.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulleys are usually standard items.

The one in your link looks like something completely different.

Most likely you will need to find your own solution. There are various ways to go. There does not seem to be an online Santana community.
Yeah, something I should have realized before buying one :rolleyes: oh well, it's an adventure. thanks Red90

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
There does not seem to be an online Santana community.
Yes we have the only online Santana community. It's here and it's growing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update for anyone with this same problem: I've been emailing back and forth with a Spanish gentleman at Estanfi Automoción in Catalonia. He informed me that the part is no longer being manufactured (you can find the part here: www.estanfi.com/images/fotos_descargas/catalogos/autoplas/autoplas.pdffa). However, they do have the membranes (*23) and pully (*14) avalible for order.

I took the thing apart and sure enough, it is the membrane that is torn.

It will take a few weeks to have it shipped here to Utah. In the meantime I'm going to cut a piece of rubber and slap it in there to see if it works, it isn't that complicated of a piece.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Interesting that you were able to find a replacement,

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Dunlop fish pond liner the 25 year stuff works great.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Well it only took two weeks of grilling the interwebs 😂, thank god for this forum
I pushed hard for the Santana section.
While most of the parts are different, we would be remiss if our first Spanish cousins weren't included.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I believe you are running into the hardest part of finding compatible parts, namely engine accessories. An engine transplant with a 200TDI or perhaps a GM inline 6 would solve that problem and offer a good performance improvement. In the vast realm of engine upgrades, those are two of the simplest and least costly.

That being said, thank you for sharing your gained knowledge on your power steering pump. This sort of information is very helpful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts