Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida. We get a lot of rain here. When I turn them off they stop about 5 inches short. If they run for a long time they go past the wind shield and when I turn them off they go all the way down . It's like they have a mind of their own. Is this just one of those cases of "that how rovers are" or is there an upgrade or fix for the wipers?

Thanks
Eric

·
Super Moderator
13,020 Posts
Most likely your wiper wheel boxes are loose. These can be tightened up. Could also be wear in the wheel box and you could replace or flip the gear. Have a search. There should be some detailed information around here somewhere.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just replaced my wheel boxes. You might be able to rebuild them, but they're cheap enough to swap out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the exact same problem and spent a few days fiddling with mine. Perhaps your gearing is worn, but more likely the rod sleeve is just sliding back and forth where it connects to the wheel box/motor mechanism. The design of the wipers places a lot of force on the crimped mounting points and even a tiny amount of play translates to a significant variance in the wipers' travel. If this is the case you can try re-crimp/shim the sleeve the best you can.

You'll probably also find that the amount of travel varies by an inch or so depending on whether you have it set on hi or low. Go figure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts