Defender Source Forum banner

621 - 633 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi hoping ill get some traction in this thread. long story short but have been in australia since covid hit in march and when i come back to nyc in feb '21 id like to bring my county with me. can anyone recommend importers they have used. some of the people i have contacted arent in the biz any more. thanks. ian

·
Registered
164 Posts
KGH, its not me that has the questions. I have read through this thread more than once, but I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert.
I think the biggest issue is that most of the information out there comes from "peoples opinions & experience" not hard legal facts.
I have found no official site that tells you what you can and cant get away with, just a few examples of legal precedence (which rarely have direct relevance to your own individual case).
If the car is "remanufactured" your on shaky ground, but who decides what's remanufactured and whats restored? Its somewhat open to interpretation, interpretation that from what I have heard is inconsistent from one port of entry to another.
It's a minefield. That's my opinion o_O

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
KGH, its not me that has the questions. I have read through this thread more than once, but I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert.
I think the biggest issue is that most of the information out there comes from "peoples opinions & experience" not hard legal facts.
I have found no official site that tells you what you can and cant get away with, just a few examples of legal precedence (which rarely have direct relevance to your own individual case).
If the car is "remanufactured" your on shaky ground, but who decides what's remanufactured and whats restored? Its somewhat open to interpretation, interpretation that from what I have heard is inconsistent from one port of entry to another.
It's a minefield. That's my opinion o_O
All good points. Was not trying to slag off on you, just trying to not muddy the waters for the newer members.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here and really glad to join the community. I've been a Land Rover owner in the past and now that I'm living in both the UK & US, am thinking about finally diving into Defender ownership.

Given I move between the US & UK, I'm reading up on all the fun import/export threads, ICIs, EPA, agents, etc - what an education! But one question I have is are there any limits to how many vehicles you can bring into the US from the UK? Assuming the vehicle meets the duty/customs/EPA/BPA requirements - will there be an issue if I bring over 2 vehicles as opposed to one? What if 6 months later I bring in another 2? Or 10? Or 50? I'm just curious if any import behavior sets off a flag or there are additional requirements that need to be met.

thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just imported my 95 last summer. it had a build date in late august. the shipper would not even consider doing it 1 day prior.. he said if they look at the date then it will be issues for him and his entire load. I would think if you were doing it yourself you could probably talk to the officer but not sure its a risk worth taking..

621 - 633 of 633 Posts