Defender Source Forum banner

601 - 620 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was was considering putting my 1989 110 up for sale on here (I'm in Ireland) and I understand that the 11L 200tdi engine in it currently would mean that its not elegilbe for importing to the US but if a 19J was installed back into it (with different engine number to orginal) would that make it elegible for importing??
I've read through the previous posts but it still leaves me a bit unsure/confused!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep that's basically correct, assuming it left the factory as a TD (Check the VIN!), then putting a 19J back in would make it eligible for import. I'd get the DVLA to change the V5 also to reflect the engine number in the vehicle when shipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chassis is original but I scraped the original engine a couple of years ago. No dvla or v5 in Ireland that's the UK your thinking of. I'd imagine I could change the engine number on the log book (v5 equivalent) but will confirm that with my local tax office. I'll put up an advert in the for sale section to see if there is any interest.

·
Super Moderator
13,418 Posts
Chassis is original but I scraped the original engine a couple of years ago. No dvla or v5 in Ireland that's the UK your thinking of. I'd imagine I could change the engine number on the log book (v5 equivalent) but will confirm that with my local tax office. I'll put up an advert in the for sale section to see if there is any interest.
The engine code in the VIN will not be for a TDI, so it will not be acceptable for import. The customs guys know how to decode the VIN and identify engine types.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The engine code in the VIN will not be for a TDI, so it will not be acceptable for import. The customs guys know how to decode the VIN and identify engine types.
To clarify:
The engine code in the VIN is for a 19J
The engine code in the logbook is a 19J
The current engine is 11L a Defender 200tdi
My question was if I put a 19J with a different engine number to what was in it originally would the vehicle be eligible for import.
I may be able to change the tax book(V5) to represent the new 19J in my local tax office but I think that they would literally strike through the engine number on the document and then write a new one over it in pen! Not very official I know! The log book is the original brown log book as issued back then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Should be no issue. My VIN is for a 3.5 V8 (1983 One Ten). Had 200 TDi in Netherlands/Germany. Put in another 3.5, which happened to be from an ‘86 RRC, and had no issues on import in 2013. As mentioned above, engine TYPE matters. I believe the guidance is original or like original for import and exemptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
As well as for registration in some states. In Colorado, the only way to get the proper forms to title and plate is if the exact engine "type" is present. They do not look at the serial number, but rather the type.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish we could search by this one thread, as we can on other forums "Search this thread."

We can do general search on website, but that yields way too many results.

For example, I want to search this thread for "color change" or "Paint" because I want to make sure you can import a defender that is a different color than originally configured.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I wish we could search by this one thread, as we can on other forums "Search this thread."
Go to Google Advanced Search & use this thread's 1st page's addy in the box that says domain or whatever. They'll spy on you in return but wth?

That said, I believe you'll find that a change-color paint job is not a problem for import.

·
Registered
58 Posts
so I went through most of the posts and I am looking for maybe someone that has imported a defender? two questions. if the truck was built with a 200 engine and the rebuilder put in a 300 does that qualify under the similar engine type? and if the truck is titled as a 95 and the vin says its a 96 is that a issue? how accurate are this records and are the feds looking at the title or doing there own Vin searches?? I dont know how a truck that was built in 96 would have a 95 title.. but maybe its a ROW thing? any input is appreciated? I see that Arkonik and others are importing vehicles with engines that did not ever come as a standard? so there must be some sort of loophole in that?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought Arronik was doing those swaps stateside. In any case, I’d not risk it. I even had the turbo removed from my 12J and shipped separately because it was not original engine configuration.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have imported one with the help of Johan (member here). The engine must be the same, they don't look at the title, they only look at the VIN which they decode themselves. Get the heritage cert and see what it says. If the engine does not match what the VIN says there is a VERY good chance it will be denied entry into the country, and then things get really expen$ive.

·
Registered
Looking for a 300TDi D90
51 Posts
Hi all, question about the chassis. I'm in the process of restoring a truck in the UK. Their build process includes stripping and galvanizing the original chassis. The chassis will still be painted in black and all precautions taken to ensure VIN is prominently visible.

I know galvanized chassis isn't a legal, but in this case because it's still the original will it still be a problem?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The problem is that the truck is then considered to be re-manufactured, and therefore ineligible for the age exemption.
I don't understand how these high end rebuilds are being imported. They are not legal.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
The problem is that the truck is then considered to be re-manufactured, and therefore ineligible for the age exemption.
I don't understand how these high end rebuilds are being imported. They are not legal.

not true. Original chassis can be stripped and dipped , painted , welded , modified, ect. as long as its original

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not from what I have read. If you've done a "nut and bolt" restoration, then it's considered a rebuild. I'm no expert, but google and you you shall find. I've imported two now so have read up on the legality side of things. Can't find the references right now but here's one link
Many people/companies are getting away with it, but there is definitely some risk involved.

·
Registered
Looking for a 300TDi D90
51 Posts
Not from what I have read. If you've done a "nut and bolt" restoration, then it's considered a rebuild. I'm no expert, but google and you you shall find. I've imported two now so have read up on the legality side of things. Can't find the references right now but here's one link
Many people/companies are getting away with it, but there is definitely some risk involved.
Are the ones you imported nut & bolt restorations?

·
Registered
164 Posts
No, I had one painted in the UK (currently up for sale on this site 1993 200tdi). My 110 was "factory" when it arrived in the US. Besides a Salisbury axle which I got the green light on as it was improvement to breaking.

601 - 620 of 633 Posts