Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1990 ROW 110
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m starting to outfit my rig to start going on some trips, trails, and journeys with my sons. Looking to get lost, but not for good. So if you had a LHD 110, 200tdi with a R380 Stumpy what spares would you bring along? What has left you behind or in trouble in the past.

Drive train has poly bushings (I know some of these fail, which one is most common)
HD axles from Ashcroft, Arb lockers, HD drive flanges, HD propshafts. Etc. It’s built pretty solid.

I’ve had the inner stub axle seal go once already, and also the fork selector in the rebuilt stumpy come lose leaving me in 2nd gear.

So let me know what you would bring along?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
A set of belts, electrical tape, cheap metric tools, assortment of bolts, bailing wire, bits of fluid, fuel filter, length of wire, fuel stop solenoid, tube of copper rTV, tire plug kit, cell phone

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
On top of Naplm's list: hammer, tools to remove a prop shaft, grease gun to push muck out of u-joints in water crossings, a couple of the swivel ball grease shots in case your front seals start to leak, air filter (depending on destination), vise grips, disposable work gloves, shop rags, hand cleaner. I assume you carry something like a Leatherman.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welding rods and jumper leads, have had to weld a leaf spring together before when stuck out in the desert

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
1. Inspect and sort out issues BEFORE getting out on the trail. Everyone is always like, "Nah the motor mounts are that bad, it'll be fine" then are amazed when the engine falls out of the car. I just did this a few months ago. Inspected a car and found the rear wheel bearings were TOAST. So we didn't take it on our 3,000 mile trip. Check wheel bearings, driveshafts, steering, fluids, check for leaks, check alternator voltage, hoses, etc beforehand. Before winter, check glow plugs to make sure they work. Before summer, check clutch fan and coolant condition. Check that the friggen wheel lug nuts. Ever have a wheel egress the vehicle on the street? It sucks. A lot. How them drive flanges? Clunky? Yeah replace that early. How old are the oil cooler lines??? Yeah life sucks when those explode. Much easier to replace them on a cold engine in the comfort of the garage. Same with power steering hoses. Don't wait for that to break.

I mean, do whatever but right now my rover is sitting in the garage waiting on a hub seal to come in. Its annoying but easier than messing with this on the side of the road.

2. PDF owners manual, workshop manual, parts manual ON YOUR PHONE DOWNLOADED. I know this is asking a lot...pressing a few buttons, but do it.

3. Useable spare tire, useable lug wrench, and useable jack. I've had a jack fail in the field. It sucked. The rover bottle jacks are pretty stout but these are all nice things to check beforehand. I just checked my bottle jack. Still a champion, fortunately.

3. 1/4" and 3/8" metric socket sets and metric combo wrenches from 8mm to 19mm (or whatever they go to these days, either way get the most pieces you can). This will do 90% of any work you gotta do on a rover. 1/4" sockets will do well to be deep sockets, but the 3/8" can be regular. Having 1/2" drive stuff is also great if you've got room. Make sure to carry a 27mm (wheel nut size). 1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench if you want to get real fancy

4. Pieces of wire, misc connectors, wire stripper/crimper tool. Just carry a packet or two of like, 14 or 16ga wire. At least you'll be able to patch up crap.

5. ZIPTIES. Little bundle from harbor freight works a treat.

6. Plug kit and air compressor. Compressor doesn't have to be anything fancy. My go-to is a cheapo cigarette plug in turd that I got 15 years ago from Advance Auto parts. It won't air up the tires after a 4x4 trip, but it'll refill a spare from 5psi to 60psi on the side of I-75 like a boss. For the plug kit, get a REAL plug kit. Safety seal and ARB are the two kits to look at (real talk, I think they the same). I've got safety seal. All its ever done is The Lords Work and save the day.

7. Small roll of electrical tape and gorilla tape. Handy.

8. Misc tools. Codder pin puller (once again, champion), various screw drivers (combo unit if you need to save space, BUT GET A GOOD ONE), small wire brush, small steel hammer, pry bar, box cutting knife, pliers (big, small, needle nose, and make sure they got some wire cutters on them!!).

9. Laser temp gauge. This is the best for diagnosing and working with diesel engines. You can tell if you've got a dead cylinder or something isn't working. They are great.

10. Spares. Fan belt, radiator hoses, 1 gal engine oil, 1 gal coolant, 1 qt power steering fluid, a few quarts of gear oil (and a small fluid transfer pump), small bottle of brake fluid. Tie rod ends because steering is nice.

11. FIRE EXTINGUISHER. I saw ads for a new, small type of fire extinguisher. Might be nice to have.

12. AAA card. Always gotta have a backup in the back. Especially at 9pm at night in the winter when the timing chain breaks (that was fun).

13. Lithium Ion Jump Pack. Once again, a little piece of equipment that is quick, easy, handy, and just works. My cheapo Gooloo of 5 years has finally bit the dust but I'm keen to replace it. These little guys are about 59085473987593709x more convenient than jumper cables. See, when off roading, car batteries only die when the front of the car is somewhere massively inconvenient and you can't get another vehicle in there. But with a jump pack, no worries. Also great in the rain as you can get a car jump started in about 15 seconds.

Some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
877 Posts
some additions to the really nice lists above.

Parts to carry. Lift pump & extra fuel line, rear hub seal. one spare CV , locking washer & hub nut tool. ARB connection bits. I have ripped out a few lines over the years. Complete set of coolant hoses & extra hose clamps, Assorted metric bolts & nuts. I also carry these but it's a bit over kill. Fan Clutch, spare injectors and Flare wrenches. I have all Carling rocker switches and carry two extra. Either switch all the coolant plugs to copper or aluminum or carry an extra one. Sucks when the plastic ones pop! Assortment of fuses and extra relays if your truck has them. Jumpbox is great but I'm still a fan of extra long HD jumper cables.

I like to use a vacuum sealer and wrap all the parts. My truck always seems to be filled with a nice layer of dust and dirt.

Delta makes a nice storage box that has mounting feet. You install the feet to the rear bed and when the box is unlocked to can unlatch 4 tabs and remove the whole thing just leaving the two low profile feet. great lockable storage, easily removed, and will carry all the gear you need plus more.

·
Registered
1990 ROW 110
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the reply’s. Looks like I’ll need a trailer to tow all the spares. Lol.

I should have said the truck is brand new, meaning full nut and bolt rebuild. Rebuilt 200tdi, new Ashcroft R380 and transfer case. Galv chassis, and all new hoses, wiring etc. It took me years to build.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Having a fresh truck pretty much solves most of your big issues. Seems like on cross country trips, its crap like, front main seal, turbo hoses, or wheel hubs go.

In all honesty, with that in mind, I'd do a simple tool roll with most of the tools you actually used ( 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets, matching wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, hammer, and pry bar), fan belt, and tape and let it go. All that should fit in an under seat tool box.

Also think about the threshold in which you'll mess with a field repair vs calling a tow truck. Also one thing with these trucks, they can limp along for quite some time so a blown oil seal, if refilled, can get you home eventually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Piling up tools/parts from lists like the above was how I ended up installing a rear drawer in the back of my Ninety. I've repaired the shift linkage inside the tower tunnel on the side of the road, but when the clutch blew, that was time to call AAA (after a state trooper helped me push the truck off the bridge it had broken down on).

For inside the truck, I recommend the large tool sets (e.g. Channel Lock) available from Costco and Sams club--either keep the blown plastic case (which makes things easy to find), or transfer them to one or more of the sturdy zip bags from Blue Ridge Overland (much more compact):

·
Registered
103 Posts

I have a similar setup in my 4Runner DD — but with many fewer tools…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
In all these years with the Def, I've never carried any spares except for hoses and belts. Never needed any.

Basic tools and a lenght of wire, yes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Front Runner. It’s perfectly functional (though a pain to install), but not nearly as nice as the “Boss Strongbox” brand drawer I have in my 4Runner.

Just measure your rear tub carefully and make sure that they send you the correct model (they sent me the TD5 version instead of the one for the older trucks—nothing that a circular saw could not fix).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
dont forget the 27mm (lug Nuts) and 52mm Sockets (Axle nut), 99% of the kits out there dont include them and more tire kits dont have a socket large enough to take defender wheels off. there is a decent britpart tool that is small enough to keep in the truck, seconded the one shot grease, and usually i have a small tub of grease that i use to repack anything else i need to.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Loading up on spares like a prepper is OK for the first few times out but as you get more experience the load will get trimmed down to just what you actually need. LRMax's list is a pretty good guide. I would put the fire extinguisher higher up on the list as it will also be handy around the campsite.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts