Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Defender 110
200tdi
There is normal power, but recently when I am accelerating hard I get this high pitched whistle.
Only occurs under load...meaning I do not get the whistle when i bring engine to high RPM.
Truck will cruise at 75 no problem, without the whistle. It only occurs in each gear when under load.
Noise coming from engine bay.

Please give me your thoughts.
THX

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned, I had a 2nd 200tdi in shop. I took the waist gate off that and swapped them. I know the swapped in waste gate did not make this noise.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Normal a whistle under load is a boost leak. Pressurize the whole intake at the turbo inlet and you should be able to find it.

Reactions: trader2318

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Red90 had mentioned to use the exhaust from a shop vac and hook that up to the turbo intake to check for leaks. I found one in the hose between the filter and the turbo. I sealed that up temporarily with tape and continued checking. Nothing else seems to be leaking yet noise persists. Any tip on creating a fog to see a leak?

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
You can also use compressed air. Just make sure you have a gauge or regulator. The engine needs to be turned so no cylinders are in overlap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We may just be leaking into an area above my pay grade...
I will rent a pressure tester at autozone tomorrow.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
@Red90 had mentioned to use the exhaust from a shop vac and hook that up to the turbo intake to check for leaks. I found one in the hose between the filter and the turbo. I sealed that up temporarily with tape and continued checking. Nothing else seems to be leaking yet noise persists. Any tip on creating a fog to see a leak?
A Halloween fog machine works well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All fixed.
I rented the pressure tester at autozone. It is set up only to do coolant so i hit the hardware store to plug the pipes. Worked my way around to find a hose clamp had let go coming out of the bottom of the intercooler. All good now.
Thanks for the guidance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts