Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. We just received a notification that our defender should pass a SMOG test to enter to California. Do you know what is this ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, it’s a state regulated smog test. They test the exhaust and if the particles are too high you will not pass. Odds are if it’s a diesel kiss it goodbye. Might pass with a clean V8 defender.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
If you are living in California permanently (more than 15 days by law) and wish to register your truck it has to be emissions (smog) tested . If the truck is NAS and stock it will pass when in good running order. ANYTHING other than that it will fail and you will not be able to get it registered.

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
139 Posts
A good running v8 will not pass. As Naplm00 stated, if its not NAS its going to have to go get certified. My completely rebuilt 110 ROW 3.5V8 running FiTech EFI failed miserably in 10 seconds. Even if I added all the required smog components it still wont pass because its not NAS. There is a sticky on the home page of this forum with all the information you need. But basically welcome to California... hate to say it but the state really doesnt want your defender here..or anything that isnt a very modern vehicle. Heck my toyota tundra which is a 2007 is starting to get annual smog notices...its likely on the list of the states dirty evil v8 to terminate.

Depending on where you live (no cal or so cal) there are emissions certification companies that are registered with the state CARB to certifiy your defender. Last I checked they wanted about $6-8K just for the stamp plus any repairs/updates needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
there are 2 types of smog stations in CA, normal and "star." go to a star station for the smog, if you do not, CA will mandate that you go to one within a few years. I have a 95 NAS d90. 100% stock. has passed every time for a decade on bringing here from out of state.

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
139 Posts
Never asked...I assumed this was ROW. If an NAS, agree you will be fine. If your ROW...another story. There are 2 types of facilities, Test Only and Smog Repair and Test. Test only is a pass or fail station. No repairs. If you fail at a smog station, they will force you to test only stations just to put the screws to you. Means you can only run once and a pass or fail. Vs the repair can do dry runs then adjust as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
are you asking about the test or the acronym?.

·
Premium Member
10,704 Posts
The flag next to the User name tells you he isn’t in the US.
Which makes his question even more interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
More a contraction than an acronym. Smog = smoke + fog.
I am aware, unfortunate choice of words. reason I was asking the OP to clarify, is because I am a licensed emissions official in northern Va. thus I was going to attempt to answer to the best of my knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts