Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! How is everyone? I have two separate questions here—

1.Could someone please supply me with a list of absolutely everything I need to successfully swap an LS3 into a Puma Defender? This would all be shipped from USA to South America to do the swap on my personal truck. Please include all parts to make the best swap possible. Wiring, interior housing for trans (?), anything needed to mate the dash to the engine ECU, trans, drivetrain, etc. EVERYTHING. Like I said the parts will all be shipped in a container so I don’t want to miss anything. THANK YOU!

2. FOR A SWAP STATESIDE— could members please provide me with reputable shops that could do the swap in a timely and efficient manner? I have talked to a bunch. Some dont do swaps if it’s not their build, some ask for absurd money, some just don’t call back JAJAJA. Thank you very much!

· Premium Member
4,509 Posts
You cant swap the LS into a Puma Defender stateside as far as I know—as you are not allowed to import a Puma Defender. plus You’ll need to give a list of what specs you want down to what trans and such. It’s all individual and how one choses to put it together on this board, and a builder is not giving a list. Best bet is getting Nicks BOM, but even that isn’t 100%

· Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You cant swap the LS into a Puma Defender stateside as far as I know—as you are not allowed to import a Puma Defender. plus You’ll need to give a list of what specs you want down to what trans and such. It’s all individual and how one choses to put it together on this board, and a builder is not giving a list. Best bet is getting Nicks BOM, but even that isn’t 100%
Cant you import a vehicle on a temporary basis not for use on the roads for repair or display only?

· Premium Member
4,509 Posts
You definitely can for display or travel, but you have to be with it and it has to leave with you when I checked last. Pre Covid, so maybe different now. There are museum display permits not for road use, so maybe there is one for restore shops? Someone on here just had difficulty getting a non-running no engine complete truck here…. They may have more info too….

· Premium Member
8,218 Posts
My memory is a little fuzzy but I drove a former member here to pickup a non conforming vehicle in JAX about 5 or 6 year ago that I believe was allowed in for 1 year not for road use and repair only.

· Premium Member
4,509 Posts
My memory is a little fuzzy but I drove a former member here to pickup a non conforming vehicle in JAX about 5 or 6 year ago that I believe was allowed in for 1 year not for road use and repair only.
I am sure there Is a way with enough hoops to jump through but things are tighter than ever. Honestly, not even sure of full intent of original post as (frankly) it isn’t very detailed beyond ”give me a full complete list” or shop. Shop is easier, for sure.

I have my list but sure as heck it isn’t going to have EVERYTHING, so no point in sending….plus no clue of WHICH engine, trans, transfer, emissions, etc, nor which Gen of engine. Maybe Safari HP will help…maybe.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I have! Called multiple times, got an answer but the person on the phone didn’t know all the details. I was told I would be called back by Steve (I might be wrong with the name) but nothing has come through. I am on an international number at the moment so maybe that’s the issue. Will try again tomorrow.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure there Is a way with enough hoops to jump through but things are tighter than ever. Honestly, not even sure of full intent of original post as (frankly) it isn’t very detailed beyond ”give me a full complete list” or shop. Shop is easier, for sure.

I have my list but sure as heck it isn’t going to have EVERYTHING, so no point in sending….plus no clue of WHICH engine, trans, transfer, emissions, etc, nor which Gen of engine. Maybe Safari HP will help…maybe.
Hey man! Thanks for reply. The puma that I want to swap is in South America, that’s why I am looking for a list of what is needed to bring from USA. No emissions regulations or anything of that nature here at all. Just need to know what to bring. I want to swap an ls3 in with the 6 speed auto.

I am also interested in doing a swap stateside that is why I am asking about shops in the USA. Two separate issues, two separate trucks! Thank you!

· Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Thats why i suggested. SHP. They are the only shop I know of that does LS swaps and sells pa
Of course I have! Called multiple times, got an answer but the person on the phone didn’t know all the details. I was told I would be called back by Steve (I might be wrong with the name) but nothing has come through. I am on an international number at the moment so maybe that’s the issue. Will try again tomorrow.
Keep trying and ask for Stephen.

· Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I personally would have it done here… it’s not hard to import for work like this (it’s not staying…)
Getting it done in a timely manner is another thing.. the good shops are stacked with work. so it will wait until there is time or your paying for time..

Import questions/handling = will DEFENDER OF DEFENDERS – THE LAW OFFICE OF WILLIAM M. HEDRICK, PLLC

LRC (does swaps.. and it s local to will and myself

I would pay to have someone project manage it..

but LRC could also do a package of parts..

but realize there is a fair amount of work to install it.. it is not bolt In.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally would have it done here… it’s not hard to import for work like this (it’s not staying…)
Getting it done in a timely manner is another thing.. the good shops are stacked with work. so it will wait until there is time or your paying for time..

Import questions/handling = will DEFENDER OF DEFENDERS – THE LAW OFFICE OF WILLIAM M. HEDRICK, PLLC

LRC (does swaps.. and it s local to will and myself

I would pay to have someone project manage it..

but LRC could also do a package of parts..

but realize there is a fair amount of work to install it.. it is not bolt In.
Unfortunately that is not a possibility. No RORO from here to USA, just getting the car there and back will be around 15-16k ($7k each way not including port fees, customs broker, etc) not to mention all the paperwork for it to leave and come back in. Also the labor here is extremely cheap. Just would be so much more expensive to do it in the USA and bring it back; makes no sense.
I will get in touch with LRC though, maybe they could help! Another option I am looking into is as swap to a Rover 5.0 out of the SVR; I have a contact that can send me a complete kit from the UK. Ls3 is first choice though.

· Premium Member
3,931 Posts
The LR 5.0.. would be a science project. Mostly on the electronics side of the house. .
it would be way cheaper to get the LS parts.. proven, and templated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts