Defender Source Forum banner
5401 - 5420 of 5435 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Defender 110 Beach Runner 2 Door 200tdi
625 Posts
I started the winter project of getting the 200tdi ready to go into Winston. And he’s telling me he wants his new heart as the CAV pump on the 2.5 started leaking. He saw me working on it, lol. View attachment 480662

View attachment 480663
The day I heard a 300 tdi was available just down the street, the 200 tdi in my truck popped the head gasket.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,327 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Those cubbies are awesome! Looks like Stone only ship within South Africa? Anyone know if they can be shipped to US?
My buddy got the gull wings from them. He asked directly and they quoted/shipped them. So yes. Great quality, only thing I didn’t care for was the massive Stone lugo cut out on side.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My buddy got the gull wings from them. He asked directly and they quoted/shipped them. So yes. Great quality, only thing I didn’t care for was the massive Stone lugo cut out on side.
Thanks, Davis. You are correct, I left them in my cart last night and they contacted me to ask if I wanted a shipping quote. Problem solved! Just have to figure out what the import duties/taxes are going to be.

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Thanks, Davis. You are correct, I left them in my cart last night and they contacted me to ask if I wanted a shipping quote. Problem solved! Just have to figure out what the import duties/taxes are going to be.
I should have mentioned, unless it has changed, that the "stone" logo thingy is a separate piece and bolts onto the gullwing and was removable. I am just not an "advertising" sort of guy--I like it a little more plain.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Probably should do a separate “Build thread” on this one. Lol.

Exploring options with my safari tailgate (a series gate that is barely hanging on, sandwiched between a couple of roadsigns.)

I wanted a way to keep it open. It’s lighter than a 36 spline steering wheel, so the slightest breeze treats it like a sail.

I also won, in a Jeeper auction (it was a benefit auction for a cause I support, which isn’t Jeeps), a little folding tray. It sucks. But I put it on there anyway, because it complements the bottle opener. Even-odds it falls off before I remember to use it.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Long day at the office = beer and dumb ideas in the garage (again)

I decided to dress the engine bay up a bit. Added factory labels, which I don’t really like,

and a new power steering res (that looks better than the old one)

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Did the prop grease points, transfer and gear box oil. (I’ve had my defender 2 years now!)

Tried to replace rear wheel bearings on a friend’s 110, but one had blown and fused to the axel housing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1991 Defender 110 (ROW) 200tdi
288 Posts
Filled mine up with diesel today. At $6.40 a gallon I have to admit, it hurt. Might start driving my winter beater a little earlier this year!
My winter "beater" is also diesel 🤦‍♂️. So much for the "it's cheaper than premium and better fuel economy" argument. Upstate NY here, and most places are in the $5.89 range, some have hit over $6.

·
Registered
1993 110 3 Door
1 Posts
A few of my window catch assemblies were broken for my 110 sliding rear windows. I have 4 sliding windows total, so 8 latches. When looking to replace them, its crazy expensive per new catch assembly (around 50-80 USD or something like that). Instead I took one apart, cleaned the spring and sliding mechanism and then modeled and 3D printed the broken component.

I got pretty lucky on my first print because it actuates and fits beautifully. I also made the hooked portion where your finger pushes down a little larger and more concave, it surprisingly helps a lot to get a better grip
Printed a boatload of them in PLA at 100 infill and lying horizontally so the print is strongest in the where the failure happened on the injection molded part.
I've installed a couple so far and will see how the Florida heat, humidity, and UV will warp/effect the plastic over time. I don't expect them to last forever, but ill be happy if it lasts a year before replacement. I will probably play with a few different plastics over time to see which works best.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
A few of my window catch assemblies were broken for my 110 sliding rear windows. I have 4 sliding windows total, so 8 latches. When looking to replace them, its crazy expensive per new catch assembly (around 50-80 USD or something like that). Instead I took one apart, cleaned the spring and sliding mechanism and then modeled and 3D printed the broken component.
View attachment 481097 View attachment 481098
I got pretty lucky on my first print because it actuates and fits beautifully. I also made the hooked portion where your finger pushes down a little larger and more concave, it surprisingly helps a lot to get a better grip
Printed a boatload of them in PLA at 100 infill and lying horizontally so the print is strongest in the where the failure happened on the injection molded part.
I've installed a couple so far and will see how the Florida heat, humidity, and UV will warp/effect the plastic over time. I don't expect them to last forever, but ill be happy if it lasts a year before replacement. I will probably play with a few different plastics over time to see which works best.
Badass.

·
Registered
1996 110 300tdi
181 Posts
View attachment 481097 View attachment 481098
Good job on modeling the window catch. I've had good luck with PTEG when it comes to humidity and UV light resistance. Give it a try if the PLA doesn't work out.

5401 - 5420 of 5435 Posts