Defender Source Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 4945 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
New bumper, new KBX grill (headlight surrounds will go on when I do the LED light upgrade), and OEM A-bar...will have to decide what lights I will mount on the bar.. View attachment 447621 View attachment 447623
Keep in mind if you mount the headlight bumper surrounds for that soft bumper you will need to drill threadserts into your fenders on each side to hold the surrounds in place. This is from hand experience of having one of those bumpers on my 94. If I am reading your post wrong about what surrounds you are running, then never mind.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ditched the old speedometer cable and old speedometer for a VDO Vision Speedometer and transducer. Still need to refine the pulse rate, but off to a good start and everything went ok. Can’t say enough about the guys over at North Hollywood Speedometer...very helpful and friendly.

Also swapped out the fuel gauge with a VDO to match the other gauges.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Well the thread starts “what have you done to your defender today“ well I received new calipers From Rovers North today, is there any reason why my right front caliper (pli696) is so much larger than left caliper (pli697). It’s about 9pm I just opened the box and saw the 2 calipers And rovers north is closed just thought I would ask
chris
They should be the same / mirror images of one another . Something is up

·
Registered
1984 110 V8 RHD 5d
14 Posts
Replac(ing) the clutch master cylinder in my 110.

7am : Spirits high, coffee hot, temp just 83F and I'm up before work to replace the Clutch Master which has been put off too long and has drawn ire from my wife when having to roll start the truck in gear to get home at times when I forgot to add fluid.
Shes a RHD, no rust at all on the bulkhead and I watched plenty of you tube, what could go wrong.

8:30am: Fluid drained in a bucket, none on me, all bulkhead bolts out, nothing bleeding, flying high, job going well. 85F and climbing
8:31am: realize I forgot to disconnect clutch hydraulic line so re-bolt two bolts to hold her still
8:45am: realizing its frozen went for the liquid wrench penetration fluid, besides, have to log into work soon and its already 88F and sun is peering over the shade of the tree.
Won't take long when I return, spirit slightly bent but I'm sure to get to the bottom of this repair soon.
11:00am, no movement of the line from the master, starting to worry, more liquid wrench, temp outside over 95F, like working on the moon I can only take 8-10 min shifts before retreating to my covid workstation in the kitchen.
3pm, create a meeting in outlook to step away for 30min and re-asses the situation in the 98F heat. Ironically determine I need more heat.
5pm, done with work, borrow the wife's kitchen torch (full benzomatic) and proceed to catch what is some kind of sound proofing on the bulkhead on fire as well as melt the crap out of the gasket for the bulkhead. Now you know why we Americans call it a firewall... spirit of adventure and happiness working on my defender literally goes up in flames, no damage to speedo cable or bonnet cable.
5:15pm, fashion a heat shield out of a lawnmower part and really heat it up. Over 98F outside, not sure why fixture is requiring propane to get it any hotter to turn
5:17pm fixture turns while spinning the $120 clutch master to slave line into a twisty straw.
5:20pm realize Rover's North needs a week before they can ship the part and this process will not start until... tomorrow. Depressed and turning to

Making a drink, will wait to tell the wife its not moving for at least another week.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Keep in mind if you mount the headlight bumper surrounds for that soft bumper you will need to drill threadserts into your fenders on each side to hold the surrounds in place. This is from hand experience of having one of those bumpers on my 94. If I am reading your post wrong about what surrounds you are running, then never mind.
I know the ones your talking about...I mean the flat plastic ones on either side of the grill that the indicator lights are mounted to...

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts

7am : Spirits high, coffee hot, temp just 83F and I'm up before work to replace the Clutch Master which has been put off too long and has drawn ire from my wife when having to roll start the truck in gear to get home at times when I forgot to add fluid.
Shes a RHD, no rust at all on the bulkhead and I watched plenty of you tube, what could go wrong.

8:30am: Fluid drained in a bucket, none on me, all bulkhead bolts out, nothing bleeding, flying high, job going well. 85F and climbing
8:31am: realize I forgot to disconnect clutch hydraulic line so re-bolt two bolts to hold her still
8:45am: realizing its frozen went for the liquid wrench penetration fluid, besides, have to log into work soon and its already 88F and sun is peering over the shade of the tree.
Won't take long when I return, spirit slightly bent but I'm sure to get to the bottom of this repair soon.
11:00am, no movement of the line from the master, starting to worry, more liquid wrench, temp outside over 95F, like working on the moon I can only take 8-10 min shifts before retreating to my covid workstation in the kitchen.
3pm, create a meeting in outlook to step away for 30min and re-asses the situation in the 98F heat. Ironically determine I need more heat.
5pm, done with work, borrow the wife's kitchen torch (full benzomatic) and proceed to catch what is some kind of sound proofing on the bulkhead on fire as well as melt the crap out of the gasket for the bulkhead. Now you know why we Americans call it a firewall... spirit of adventure and happiness working on my defender literally goes up in flames, no damage to speedo cable or bonnet cable.
5:15pm, fashion a heat shield out of a lawnmower part and really heat it up. Over 98F outside, not sure why fixture is requiring propane to get it any hotter to turn
5:17pm fixture turns while spinning the $120 clutch master to slave line into a twisty straw.
5:20pm realize Rover's North needs a week before they can ship the part and this process will not start until... tomorrow. Depressed and turning to

Making a drink, will wait to tell the wife its not moving for at least another week.

View attachment 449104
Just make a new hard line will take all of 30min with a $15 flaring tool from harbor freight.

Use new tube nuts from Any autoparts store , buy a complete line and just take them from that .

·
Registered
1984 110 V8 RHD 5d
14 Posts
Just make a new hard line will take all of 30min with a $15 flaring tool from harbor freight.

Use new tube nuts from Any autoparts store , buy a complete line and just take them from that .
Heading down an even easier path. After much reflection and consideration of your advice I realized I only trashed the last two inches at the end of the line. I am simply going to buy a new fitting and cut/ flare the existing line just ahead of the damage.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts

View attachment 449104
While you have it out. Do yourself a favor. https://www.seriesdefender.com/mechanical/clutch-master-cylinder.html

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
139 Posts
Working on rigging up a new intake for the ls swap. Goal to pull air from the lhd fender vent vs from behind the pass side headlight and wheel well. Worried about hydro lock in the event I cross a through water. Also pull cooler air and get intake air temps down. Peaks at 140 at times.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Pulled the ARB off the truck to do a couple of mods to it and repaint it. An engine crane is definitely the proper tool for that job.
Last week I repaired the snorkel that I made twelve years ago and then a couple of years later I snagged it on a vine and bent it.
IMG_20200718_101345099.jpg
IMG_20200711_134552223.jpg

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Not just today but since the lockdown:
  • new fuel injectors
  • new distributor and relocation for the amp
  • new fuel pump
  • new rear Tom Woods DC shaft
  • Garrison Outfitter window channel kit
  • Stainless studs for the window tops
And honestly out of all that stuff the Garrison kit made the biggest impact. That window rattle was driving me batshit.

Finally running good again!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not just today but since the lockdown:
  • new fuel injectors
  • new distributor and relocation for the amp
  • new fuel pump
  • new rear Tom Woods DC shaft
  • Garrison Outfitter window channel kit
  • Stainless studs for the window tops
And honestly out of all that stuff the Garrison kit made the biggest impact. That window rattle was driving me batshit.

Finally running good again!
Nice. I’ve had the Garrison kit for two years now. One of these days I’ll get to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So a friend of mine asked me 'what's the latest with my NAS D90' so I made a short SmartPhone video to send him and I thought...'Defender Source might like to see this in the 'What have you done lately thread' so I'm posting it here as a short YouTube link. Enjoy.
l love it! Thanks for sharing.

4921 - 4940 of 4945 Posts