Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chatted with this guy in the RRC for a few minutes, he had a imported 90 at home.

Just some trees at my campsite:

Hard to see the forest through the trees:

Oh there it is:

Went on a hike I had never done before that connected some different Jeep roads I had been on before on both ends.

Dogs got hot and were taking any tiny bit of shade they could find:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took a very short hike to the Ouray Hydroelectric dam, I had never seen it before and only recently found it on google earth.

Then I went down to the bridge over the creek below the dam:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a few 360 panoramas while I was out:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then I did a hike I have wanted to do for a long time.....to the "sign" structure on the top of McMillian peak.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone wondering about the "sign" I believe its supposed to be a passive repeater, though likely long defunct:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I did another hike I was curious about to a mine I had already been to, and it turned out to be a loop with a cool surprise at the end. Very neat to discover this hiking out in the woods with no idea it was there.

We started off of 550 a little above the Ironton townsite.

And followed an old road:

Found an old boarding house:

This is old water pipe, its made similar to how old barrel were made, wood fittied together and wrapped in wire!

Found an outhouse:

Found a boiler a little below the American Girl mine:

Then went up to the American Girl Mine, uphill a little further, and then started following a different trail back down that was supposed to cut back to where we started. It started off like a road but quickly turned into this:

You can see the old ties still in place. Around these mines you will see lots of ties still around but the ore car track removed since it was useful and could be reused. So we were following a path with lots of old ties, narrow, and headed downhill to unknown destination.

And then at the end we found.......it was the old rail road line we had been following.....I had no idea since it seemed like it was too narrow even for narrow guage.

And then what is left of the turn table.

I made a video about the hike and some different views.....which is kinda long, here:

And the first part of the hike:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then we took a hike to a hotspring.....which wasn't very hot right now. But comfortable. My dad got a quick scrub in the water:

You can see the highway a ways below us:

This was our campsite, nicely tucked away. There was a fair bit of flat ground so we were able to park level for sleeping. No fires allowed otherwise we would have had great fires there.

And.....while walking back from a dump I found someones trash dump, from last year I think. Fukkin nasty man, they went to the trouble to bag this crap up and then tossed it just far enough away to be out of sight. People suck man, and they get the places that I want to be closed down by trashing them.

So we bagged it up and left the site better than we found it:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then I went and just tried to take some cool pictures of the Land Rover on the last day before we had to drive home.

Its hard to take a bad photo in these here parts:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then I flew the drone up and around to get some pictures from up high:

And then back to the scenery while we had some lunch:

Jetboil up some chicken Jalapeno dogs:

Then time to go home:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! And thanks for leaving it better than you found it.
Thats my philosphy in all long things, if I can live a life where I leave this planet better then I found it for everyone else then I've had a worthwhile life.

Nice trip Sam!
Thanks, it was nice to get out.Not much offroading, but lots of other fun exploring.

Now THAT's what I call a trip report! Very cool Sam. Great pics!
Thanks, thanks for looking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife’s from that area. We’ve always got half a mind to pack up and move. Thanks for sharing.
I love the area, and since the Corona with working remotely more it almost seems more feasible now to live part time somewhere there. If there is enough culture shift to working remotely I could almost justify buying another place in Ouray. Almost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts