Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to Santana Source.
This section is for owners of those Land Rovers built in Spain that started with a CKD Series II, in 1958 and finally ended with the PS-10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Motor

As time went on after 1958, the factory pointed the Santana in a different direction to better meet the needs of it's own customer base and conform to it's own resource limitations.
This meant that the Santana and the British Land Rovers built in Solihull England became different with time, until they were almost entirely a unique vehicle when Santana finally closed in 2011.

If you need parts, in spite of the joking, Zack at RN is probably not your best source, although he can order parts with Land Rover UK part numbers, but with no guarantee that it will fit your Santana with any accuracy.

Thanks to the admins and mods who made this location a reality.
I pushed hard to have this site created, but am no expert on Santanas.
I have driven them and worked on a few, but have little to no knowledge of this somewhat different and unique marque other than to point out the unique features I have observed over the years.

In any event, now there is an English speaking location for all the Santana owners that will likely take some time to become known, but will eventually be a well used location to gather and collaborate.

Welcome aboard you owners of this unique Spanish built Santana, first cousin to the British Land Rovers built in Solihull England.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Terryjm1, Tom here, have a 89' Santana imported 5 years ago with 300tdi installed and recently installed parabolics from Rocky Mt. Would be interested in your experience with replacement parts as this is always an issue

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Tom, take a look at my post it is based on actual experience including the conversion already performed on your truck.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pictures Jeff.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hello Terryjm1, Tom here, have a 89' Santana imported 5 years ago with 300tdi installed and recently installed parabolics from Rocky Mt. Would be interested in your experience with replacement parts as this is always an issue
Hello Tom,

Sorry I missed your post until now. My Santana is at our cabin. At the moment the only part numbers I have are the clutch master and slave numbers I posted.

I have many other parts I am swapping in, doors, fenders, seats, and many other Land Rover odds and ends.

Great info on the Rocky Mountain parabolics as I am looking for replacements.

I also have 200TDI I plan to install, which has mounts in different locations than 300TDI. I’ll post on that later.

Thanks for jumping in and sharing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you think the Turkish defenders made by Otokar are close enough to the Santana for these topics to be relevant to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Do you think the Turkish defenders made by Otokar are close enough to the Santana for these topics to be relevant to me?
Doubtful, but is there some particular aspect of one of those that gives you that hunch? The bed isn't like the beds on LR 127/D130's, but is very much like the LR Rapier 127's...

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the site, reformed Jeep owner. Has anyone started an excel sheet or list of parts #'s, etc for the Santana. I've been trying to locate an original copy of the manual for a Series IV LR, but having a difficult time. Thanks for making this sub topic a reality.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a parts list somewhere that was photocopied for me years ago.
Was the manual written in Spanish?

Reactions: terryjm1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Santana Source.
This section is for owners of those Land Rovers built in Spain that started with a CKD Series II, in 1958 and finally ended with the PS-10.

Santana Motor - Wikipedia

As time went on after 1958, the factory pointed the Santana in a different direction to better meet the needs of it's own customer base and conform to it's own resource limitations.
This meant that the Santana and the British Land Rovers built in Solihull England became different with time, until they were almost entirely a unique vehicle when Santana finally closed in 2011.

If you need parts, in spite of the joking, Zack at RN is probably not your best source, although he can order parts with Land Rover UK part numbers, but with no guarantee that it will fit your Santana with any accuracy.

Thanks to the admins and mods who made this location a reality.
I pushed hard to have this site created, but am no expert on Santanas.
I have driven them and worked on a few, but have little to no knowledge of this somewhat different and unique marque other than to point out the unique features I have observed over the years.

In any event, now there is an English speaking location for all the Santana owners that will likely take some time to become known, but will eventually be a well used location to gather and collaborate.

Welcome aboard you owners of this unique Spanish built Santana, first cousin to the British Land Rovers built in Solihull England.

Enjoy!
Hi there - I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm looking at a 1971 Land Rover Santana 109 Series 3 Militar. I've read about the difference between Land Rover and Santana-built vehicles and wonder, before I purchase this vehicle....am I in for a big headache finding parts if this vehicle needs parts replaced?

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reply sent via PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there - I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm looking at a 1971 Land Rover Santana 109 Series 3 Militar. I've read about the difference between Land Rover and Santana-built vehicles and wonder, before I purchase this vehicle....am I in for a big headache finding parts if this vehicle needs parts replaced?
Depends who you ask. The purists will look down on you and tell you you'll never find parts or help....he Santana'istas will tell you they're exactly the same, no worries. I have found the truth is somewhere in the middle, and it really depends on the year/model. Remember that for the first years. the parts were all manufactured in the UK and shipped to Spain for assembly. At the other end of the Santana Land Rover run, they morphed into the Anibal and was an LR in name only. I have a 1987 Santana (5-door 109). When I need a part, I usually start from the standpoint that it's a Series III and go from there. 2.25L diesel, LT85 tranny, etc. The differences for my year range from cosmetics like the dashboard, to mechanicals like front disk brakes, to some stuff in between (windshield frame). I would think that a Santana that early (1971) would be a pretty simple truck to run down parts for as it's a basic Series III. Of course, when you call or email some places ...like Rovers North, they're going to give you the stiff-arm and tell you it's a whole other truck and manufacturer and they won't give you the time of day) Again, everybody is going to give you an opinion. I'm just telling you what my experience has been. Good luck, man. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate
Depends who you ask. The purists will look down on you and tell you you'll never find parts or help....he Santana'istas will tell you they're exactly the same, no worries. I have found the truth is somewhere in the middle, and it really depends on the year/model. Remember that for the first years. the parts were all manufactured in the UK and shipped to Spain for assembly. At the other end of the Santana Land Rover run, they morphed into the Anibal and was an LR in name only. I have a 1987 Santana (5-door 109). When I need a part, I usually start from the standpoint that it's a Series III and go from there. 2.25L diesel, LT85 tranny, etc. The differences for my year range from cosmetics like the dashboard, to mechanicals like front disk brakes, to some stuff in between (windshield frame). I would think that a Santana that early (1971) would be a pretty simple truck to run down parts for as it's a basic Series III. Of course, when you call or email some places ...like Rovers North, they're going to give you the stiff-arm and tell you it's a whole other truck and manufacturer and they won't give you the time of day) Again, everybody is going to give you an opinion. I'm just telling you what my experience has been. Good luck, man. Let us know how it goes.
appreciate the comments, all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts