Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have way too much play in my steering that has progressively gotten worst. So much play that I prefer not to drive with my 5 year old. I prefer to buy the parts and let my mechanic do the labor. But where do I start?? My pitman arm totally needs to be replaced. Steering box has a small amount of play, damper shock needs replacing, etc. Basically, the front end has been ignored since purchasing the truck. Time to get it done. Any advice/help as to where I begin, parts, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
You can overhaul everything in a couple hours. There is a bolt on top of your steering box to adjust the backlash of your steering. Clockwise to tighten it up, I would do a quarter turn at a time and then check.. As for the steering dampener and steering links order everything online and you can get it done for less then $100. Good luck

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I tightened up the adjustment which worked for a few hundred miles but finally just replaced the box and arm which can be a PITA to remove so easier to just replace both...nice and tight now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Digging this up from a search.

I'm a Defender owner noob wondering if all 90s feel a little vague or not centered when doing highway speeds. I realize this could be an alignment thing, but I want to know what to expect when doing 60-70. Right now mine feels a little, hmmm, unstable may not be the right word. It feels like I'm driving in swirling winds, constantly making little adjustments to stay in my lane, and that doesn't seem normal in any car I've driven. I'm taking a road trip from Atlanta to Asheville in two weeks, so I want peace of mind. If that's how they drive, fine. I'll be extra alert. For what it's worth, I'm getting new tires this week to replace the visibly cracked and 8 year-old BFG ATs and checking alignment. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
Ok so thats one possibility. They are worn and need replacing. While you are looking around, just check that all the nuts and bolts are properly torqued.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good to know.

So driving on a highway shouldn't feel treacherous? I haven't experienced any death wobble, which sounds rather scary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts