Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Well if it helps I have been dealing with this thing for 17 years.. you do the vent seals, seal up the booster and the clutch, pull part the windscreen, and as a kicker fab a plate for the brake cylinder (its open facing the rear). the putty tape is your friend and eventually it stops for a while. depends on how much you drive it as to when it comes back....

I daily drive mine..

Its a defender, so if you deal with it everyday its not a chore, its regular Maintiance, if you deal with it once a month a year its annoying.

I get it.

The putty tape ie. Dum Dum Tape works great, usually.. Dosent hurt to use it
all the fasteners in my hard top have it. and its leak free this year

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
this is a question for IBROUTING
The whole reason I was replacing my windscreen gasket was because I thought that was where my leaks were coming from. It was the gap between the bulkhead and the wing the whole time. Plus, I do not have a gasket around my clutch/brake assembly (I can see light through the gaps) so I should probably fix that too...

your statement about the windscreen seal mine is very dry rotted. did a normal auto glass company come pout to replace it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
this is a question for IBROUTING
The whole reason I was replacing my windscreen gasket was because I thought that was where my leaks were coming from. It was the gap between the bulkhead and the wing the whole time. Plus, I do not have a gasket around my clutch/brake assembly (I can see light through the gaps) so I should probably fix that too...

your statement about the windscreen seal mine is very dry rotted. did a normal auto glass company come pout to replace it?
Still waiting for one to come out. I called Safelite and another national one and they said they would not do it, so waiting for a couple of local shops to call me back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I took my windscreen off my truck and purchased a new seal to have them replace the seal and get the glass installed. I figured no one was going to stock the seal or come out and do it since this is a none standard truck. the tech said it was an "old school" type seal so I am glad I went to an "old school" kind of shop to get it done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i have a local shop that is willing to do it, just havnt gotten the nerve to get it done yet, ordered a LR OEM seal from LRDIRECT and its sitting in a box waiting to go in.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I saw a video where a guy was pushing on the rear 1/4 glass and he pushed that window into the interior effortlessly the fixed glass in the truck is installed the same I can’t imagine why a glazier would not do it

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
894 Posts
A day with some 3M strip caulk & black duct tape will make a huge difference on the door seals. I also add a thin layer of caulk over the gasket where the windscreen meets the bulkhead and on top of the windscreen where it meets the roof panel. Probably not a bad idea to remove the pedal boxes and recaulk. I live in Downeast Maine and it's wet and shitty a lot of the time. It's well worth your time and effort.

Attachments

Reactions: blaster11
21 - 31 of 31 Posts