Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve replaced vent seals about 4 months ago. seal appears to be pretty tight…no breeze felt on a dry drive at highway speeds …hope some one has some suggestion
chris

·
Premium Member
Defender
1,716 Posts
Check the seal around your brake pedal box and your clutch pedal box. Those are pretty big culprits.

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
Have taken apart a lot of trucks where the shelf under the windshield, where the foam seal is,
Is completely rotted through and could not be seen until pulled apart. Water runs down windshield, and drains straight into footwell.

·
Registered
1996 110 300tdi
40 Posts
Have taken apart a lot of trucks where the shelf under the windshield, where the foam seal is,
Is completely rotted through and could not be seen until pulled apart. Water runs down windshield, and drains straight into footwell.
That's were I believe I have water coming in. I've put Series rubber seals on, but I still have some water entering. What's involved when replacing that seal? Do you just fold the windshield and replace?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they really have…… water ingress manual…I read a post yesterday that mentioned this I thought the post was being being facetious.I’ll be checking the the obvious… in the next day or 2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Has anyone found a good product aside from putty to bridge the gap discussed in the video?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually contacted a service rep from Arkonik. He wants me to send a video of the drip.. I’ve watched the Britanica video…. finding a leak looks like it’s going to be trial and error
Chris

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
I actually contacted a service rep from Arkonik. He wants me to send a video of the drip.. I’ve watched the Britanica video…. finding a leak looks like it’s going to be trial and error
Chris
You might try putting the truck in a dark garage and place a lamp(s) inside, maybe the driver/passenger floors, and then get under the truck to see where the light may be escaping.

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
My LAST leak on the floor was coming from the bolts that hold the windscreen block. I sealed up those holes and now that specific leak is gone. I have plenty of other leaks, but not THAT one, lol.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no my truck is not a ARKONIK. mine is road hard and almost put up wet ...I just emailed them and they responded and asked me to send a pic or video i thought that was great customer service. I am really grateful that they are willing to give some advice, .......cuz you damn well.....they got that problem worked out ......considering they sell there defenders for $200K plus

·
Premium Member
1988 LR90, 300tdi/R380 LT230
283 Posts
Mine used to leak on the pass side and collect on the dash tray until I watched that video from Mike at Britanica and got some putty, no more leaks... Another leak I had was coming from above the clutch pedal, it was consistent when it rained ...looks like I had No seal left between the clutch pedal bracket and the engine side of the bulkhead. Now with the new clutch bracket seal, all gone and dry... Good Luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
The whole reason I was replacing my windscreen gasket was because I thought that was where my leaks were coming from. It was the gap between the bulkhead and the wing the whole time. Plus, I do not have a gasket around my clutch/brake assembly (I can see light through the gaps) so I should probably fix that too...

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just like Britannica video it looks like he put that dum dum into the crevice of the base of the windscreen if thats what your talking about

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve replaced vent seals about 4 months ago. seal appears to be pretty tight…no breeze felt on a dry drive at highway speeds …hope some one has some suggestion
chris
Check the seals under the hinges, well the brackets where hinges would be if the screen folded down... Mike discusses this in this vid. Start at about 2:35

1 - 20 of 31 Posts