Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for one of those series oil bath air cleaners designed for snorkels. This was a factory option. They have the intake top closed off with the intake coming off the side and it fits in the stock series air cleaner location. I may be interested in the whole factory series snorkel kit if you have it, but I would be thrilled with just the air cleaner part itself. Please PM me with what you've got and what you think is fair for it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
You could also try Ike at Pangolin4x4 or he might know someone that would be willing to sell from their stash. Remember seeing a crated kit for sale on Ebay UK while back. Went for crazy money. PB Blanchards, Dunsfold or the operation out of Cyprus might still have some. They sell out of ebay.co.uk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could also try Ike at Pangolin4x4 or he might know someone that would be willing to sell from their stash. Remember seeing a crated kit for sale on Ebay UK while back. Went for crazy money. PB Blanchards, Dunsfold or the operation out of Cyprus might still have some. They sell out of ebay.co.uk.
That's what I was afraid of... ridiculous prices. :D Probably why I don't see these pop up.

My 109 is a survivor daily driver so it's hard to justify "restoration" or "rare" pricing for my needs. Thank you for the suggestions... I'll look into those. Might get lucky!

I'm still hoping someone might have one tossed in a corner they'd sell for deal... I mean... "No one puts Baby in a corner." ;)

Cheers! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Those kits were 400 bucks when they were still available new.

You'd be better off going with the early 90/110 4 cylinder (non-tdi) style round filter that uses a paper element and should fit in the same mount albeit with some mods.

Or you can look for the ones that came on Series 1's that had the exit coming off the side.

But those are usually spendy too.

Looking for one of those series oil bath air cleaners designed for snorkels. This was a factory option. They have the intake top closed off with the intake coming off the side and it fits in the stock series air cleaner location. I may be interested in the whole factory series snorkel kit if you have it, but I would be thrilled with just the air cleaner part itself. Please PM me with what you've got and what you think is fair for it. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stole image off Dare britannica web site
That's the kit... and there's that air cleaner. There's a note on that web site about only being offered to preferred customers... guess that'll rule me out. :D

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2015 10:07 AM ------

Those kits were 400 bucks when they were still available new.

You'd be better off going with the early 90/110 4 cylinder (non-tdi) style round filter that uses a paper element and should fit in the same mount albeit with some mods.

Or you can look for the ones that came on Series 1's that had the exit coming off the side.

But those are usually spendy too.
It's interesting that you bring that up... I have been contemplating using a different air cleaner for my snorkel setup. I was hoping to score a stock series cleaner, but it's starting to sound too pricey for my beer budget. I'll look into those 90/110 4cyl non-tdi air cleaners. I'm not opposed to using a paper filter style either. I just want a nice clean setup with good air flow.
So... with that... I might be interested in above mentioned air cleaner as well. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
That's the kit... and there's that air cleaner. There's a note on that web site about only being offered to preferred customers... guess that'll rule me out. :D

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2015 10:07 AM ------

It's interesting that you bring that up... I have been contemplating using a different air cleaner for my snorkel setup. I was hoping to score a stock series cleaner, but it's starting to sound too pricey for my beer budget. I'll look into those 90/110 4cyl non-tdi air cleaners. I'm not opposed to using a paper filter style either. I just want a nice clean setup with good air flow.
So... with that... I might be interested in above mentioned air cleaner as well. ;)
Let me know if this is what you might be interested in. This comes out of a low mileage early 83 110. It has a little surface rust that will clean up easily. The filter is new. I can take additional pics if you are interested in seeing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know if this is what you might be interested in. This comes out of a low mileage early 83 110. It has a little surface rust that will clean up easily. The filter is new. I can take additional pics if you are interested in seeing them.
Thank you for the offer. It looks like intake exits out the top... might be a tight fit (even with an elbow) utilizing the stock series lock-down strap. There isn't much room between the lock-down strap and hood when closed so it might be an issue. I'll keep you in mind if I can't figure out an in/out from the side filter canister. Again, I appreciate the offer though.

·
Super Moderator
12,989 Posts
In the photo above, the hose from the filter to the intake is on backwards. The tight elbow on the hose connects to the top of the filter housing. It should be able to work on a Series, but you would need to remove the complete stock assembly and modify the legs.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
In the photo above, the hose from the filter to the intake is on backwards. The tight elbow on the hose connects to the top of the filter housing. It should be able to work on a Series, but you would need to remove the complete stock assembly and modify the legs.

John, is absolutely correct. I was recently playing with the cleaner's hose to see if I wanted to try and work it into my 200tdi swap.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Why not just close off the intake on the series filter canister and cut a hole then weld a section of pipe and the side and bam you have your snorkle air filter canister?

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
got it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not just close off the intake on the series filter canister and cut a hole then weld a section of pipe and the side and bam you have your snorkle air filter canister?
I may end up going this direction if I cannot locate a stock snorkel type air cleaner. Modifying isn't out of the realm, but it would sure nice to not have to. ;)

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2015 06:04 PM ------

Have you looked at a jaguar air cleaner?
iirc it's the coup style
No, I'm not familiar with that. What year would have used this? Thank you

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2015 06:05 PM ------

I've replied back to your PM... in hopes it's the type I'm looking for. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
They way the Series LR filter is designed, it would be hard to do that and have it

a: work properly
b: not look like ****
c: fit under the bonnet (with the bonnet closed, smartass)

That's why LR made the snorkel-y one shorter than the factory one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They way the Series LR filter is designed, it would be hard to do that and have it

a: work properly
b: not look like ****
c: fit under the bonnet (with the bonnet closed, smartass)

That's why LR made the snorkel-y one shorter than the factory one.
I have thought the same... in order for the elbow to have clearance with lockdown strap and bonnet closed... the top would need to be cut open to allow the metal elbow to recess down far enough to be welded... then the top would need to cut/welded around this elbow. Yes... I imagine it would look something along the lines of Frankenstein's monster. It certainly can be done, but that's a lot of time and such. Let's hope a factory one shows itself. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts