Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of a complete long, defender style shifter set up for r380. I need everything including the diff lock linkages. Anyone have one?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have an r380 from a disco, but it has the short shifter set up for discos and classics. I've been told that the defenders r380 shifter set up will work on it. I need it for a series rig. The disco short shifter is too far back, hence the need for the defender style set up.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
To use the V-8 r380 from a Disco into a Defender, and have the Defender shifter set up, you need the top shifter mechanism from a Defender R380 or off a Defender with the lt77. I believe that either will work. However you will also need to replace a rod inside the trans to make it work correctly or buy the adapter from Ashcroft. I have that set up sitting on the shop floor right now ready to get swapped out with a V-8 conversion so I just have second hand knowledge right now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. Sorry for not being specific when I say "complete assembly". I wasn't 100% sure that the lt77 one would work as well, so thanks for that info! Have any leads on the whole set up by chance? I wouldn't be against buying a knackered defender gearbox whole if need be. Or do you know if Ashcroft sells the entire shifter assembly and related bits to swap over? If so, part numbers? Thanks for that info, Mike?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
When I was looking I found some on Ebay UK, that was before I was informed the lt77 one would work. It looked like they were starting to get hard to get. Ashcroft only sells the fork kit for the conversion. (to my best knowledge) I had Safari HP get it for me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm wondering if it would be easier just to find a knackered lt77 or defender r380. No dice on eBay UK. Anyone out there have these bits??

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
From what i understand you use the discovery assembly for that. I haven't done it yet so don't know what will work and what will not. I am using the lt77 as the donor with a r380 out of a Discovery and the kit from Ashcroft.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I am just concerned about where it would mount. After looking closely at it and photos of defender ones, this one doesn't seem to have the holes to mount a diff lock to at all.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
J, I'm on the backend of a tdi swap and should have a spare LT77S once I'm finished. I'm probably a few weeks away from knowing what I do/don't need off the spare unit so if the need is still present when I'm done I'll be happy to try and help you out.

Clay

Unless something pops up, I think you might be the one to save the day! Keep me posted on everything. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just spoke with Dave Ashcroft about this and I'm going to order his adapter to convert from short to long shifter, so all I need is the complete shifter housing from a defender lt77 or r380.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts