Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me preface this request with the fact that I am a novice in the Defender arena. I have owned an LR3 but would like to jump into the Defender series- specifically to one of the older models- I am looking for RHD, Gas or Diesel. I would prefer something in the project car end of the spectrum- I do not need a full restore.

I have been digging around and have been confused with a number of issues I am hoping the experts here can help clarify.

-What info do you need to confirm to ensure that the import was done properly- is there a checklist (VIN- Check, Serial Numbers- Check, etc.)

-What are the reliability issues with the Gas engine vs the Diesel? What do the drivers prefer?

-What other questions should I be asking?​

Any help or leads to a new truck would be a huge help to this novice- just getting my feet wet in this area.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

-DMS

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
David:

-Make sure it has a clean title.

-You'll probably want either a 200 or 300Tdi. It's often recommended to buy a diesel & put a better diesel in rather than go gas-diesel.

-Rust is a big issue. Budget & plan on a chassis & bulkhead replacement, maybe footwells too.

Good luck!

Paul.

Reactions: dskinlo

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Why do you want RHD ???

Have a LHD 1984 110 V8, recent import.
Condition just ok. Not a restauration project but can use some attention

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LHD or RHD

Why do you want RHD ???

Have a LHD 1984 110 V8, recent import.
Condition just ok. Not a restauration project but can use some attention
I would consider LHD- honestly I do not have a strong preference- just trying to find a clean truck to restore.

DMS

·
Registered
111 Posts
To be imported it needs to cleared by customs; once the import is done, and the vehicle has a US title, it can be modified in many different ways.

Ideally, you would have the customs paperwork following along the vehicle ownership chain. How often that happens idk.

Pik

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Have you determined how you intend on using your Defender?

Many of us use these things very differently so my advice is to decide how you want to use it and seek out others that have found a formula that works well in that scenario.

Figuring out what formula works for you is just part of the battle we all go through. A daily driver that doesn't wheel his truck will give you advice that might not suit your best interests if in fact you want to use your truck differently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts