Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone is upgrading their imported ROW defender to a tdi or V8 you are likely left with this engine, I need one. I am an importer and my defender needs an engine as I don't want to sell with a bad engine. This is in the Virginia area for reference. Thanks.

I should add one thats in decent shape, no point replacing one bad engine with another.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
A 12J (2.5L NA Diesel) will bolt right in too and are probably more common than a 19J. They are only 10hp less and no turbo to fail.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The logical thing to do would be a tdi or V8. A tdi will cost at least 3k to source in the US making it expensive for something I am going to sell on, the V8 would be about half that but don't know whats needed to mate to the gearbox on an 88 ROW 90.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
FYI. There's a lot involved in a TDI install. Just ask those that do it for a living. Don't try to piece together sound bites from guys that don't do these swaps often enough to know. Especially if you don't have weeks of spare time and need to outsource the labor. In addition to the initial purchase of the engine there are a number of things you should consider doing, such as timing belt, tensioners, belts, hoses, seals, gaskets, clutch, etc. assuming rad, intercooler, starter, alternator and other parts are up to snuff. Many 20 year old engines simply aren't and is probably why the engine is for sale in the first place. The parts lists adds up incredibly fast and shop time flies by very quickly. Point is there's no cheap easy fix and you should really put a budget together before pulling a trigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts