Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I have a five gallon universal aluminum fuel cell you can have for free. I live in Campbell

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
It's a universal fuel cell, I had it in a derby car.

It's not made for a rover. But you can get creative?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Rocky.... I hadn't looked at that tank. BUT my truck has a butt load of fuel vapor recovery hardware bolted in the location where the britpart tank is installed. In Calif. they are very anal when it comes to modifying any part of the car that touches the epa regulated emissions hardware. The aero tank fits under the truck out board of the frame directly under the passengers location.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you seen this one, no price listed:
Long Range Fuel Tank | Britpart
Thank you for the link. This is a well designed modern version of an old Series II and III fuel tank. But it looks like it is only available in the UK. I guess I could have someone from the UK buy it, then ship to me... To install it I would have to relocate the radio amplifier and an ECU located in the compartment in passenger seat box and remove the compartment. I am still going to try and source the Aero Tank. (New or used) I have left a phone message with them - but due to the covid 19 "lock down" in California they may be closed for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I installed a ROW diesel tank under my pass seat with a pusher pump to the main tank . I did this conversion about 10 years ago I believe. Try searching the technical discussions.
So basically I had to remove the pass side tool compartment and on a 94 there is nothing such as an ECU or ampl stored in that compartment. I run an auxil tank fuel gauge and just push a button when I want to transfer fuel from the aux tank the the main tank.

No sure if your looking/considering that kind of mod.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
That sounds a lot easier and uses factory parts.
LenB, would you have to move a bunch or wiring or fuel system stuff to install what CDeWan is suggesting in post 13?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the recommendations CDwWan. I have a NAS '97 D90 that has a small amp and some type of ecu inside the passenger tool box. I will look at the harnesses and see if I can relocate them to fit inside my center console. (There is plenty of space inside the console - I replaced the factory plastic console a long time ago with a stainless steel console I fabricated). I just got off the phone with AeroTank and they said they no longer have the drawings for the Defender tank they use to make. SO, I will start looking to other options including the an ROW under seat tank or going to a local fabricator with my design that would be similar to the Aero Tank design.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
The petrol tank under the seat is metal and Equipe (Italy) makes a an aluminum guard for it which I put under it. If anyone makes a plastic under the seat tank in the same style please let me know as I would rather have a plastic then steel tank under the passenger's seat. (Don't mean to hyjack the thread it is just a safety concern that I have always had with the tank location).

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations CDwWan. I have a NAS '97 D90 that has a small amp and some type of ecu inside the passenger tool box. I will look at the harnesses and see if I can relocate them to fit inside my center console. (There is plenty of space inside the console - I replaced the factory plastic console a long time ago with a stainless steel console I fabricated). I just got off the phone with AeroTank and they said they no longer have the drawings for the Defender tank they use to make. SO, I will start looking to other options including the an ROW under seat tank or going to a local fabricator with my design that would be similar to the Aero Tank design.
Why would you fab a tank when the off the shelf factory tank will fit as described in post 13?
I don't really care which way you go, it's your 90, but curious as to why you would have a custom shop build you something that is already available off the shelf?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In addition to the ARB tank pictured above (just get the part number and you should be able to order it from www.lrdirect.com or another U.K. or AUS ARB dealer), you should also look at the South African site for Front Runner (.ZA), which carries several different extended range tanks for the defender. You can then order the tank from the U.K./Europe Front Runner site and have it air-shipped to the States (I have done this with several pieces of FR defender gear that the US FrontRunner store doesn’t carry—>they will special order for you, but it has to come one the slow boat from ZA, which could be months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
But be careful as there are different tanks for the 90 and 110, LHD vs RHD etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why would you fab a tank when the off the shelf factory tank will fit as described in post 13?
I don't really care which way you go, it's your 90, but curious as to why you would have a custom shop build you something that is already available off the shelf?
What I want is a simple way to carry 10 gals of fuel that is not connected to any system on the truck. Like jerry cans. There are some very simple battery operated hand held pumps to transfer fuel from aux tanks to the stock fuel tank. If there were jerry cans that could be carried on there sides I would fabricate a cradle and skid plate and would put them under the floor on the passenger side between the trailing arm horns and radius are horns. (like the areo tank) . The aero tank is sort of Pie shaped and is about 4"deep and fits in that location I described. If I can't find what I like I am willing to design and fabricate it . I attached a pic of my s.s. door panel and speaker box. When My truck was 5 years old the plastic door panels were cracking . I wanted something that would last the life of the truck and give me a couple more inches of "Knee space". The same goes for the center and dash consoles. They were plastic and were showing their age so I replaced them with my own fabrications. The reason I purchased my truck was use it - not to have a show room truck stored in a Nitrogen filled plastic bubble. I attached the pics to show you where I am coming from. (it is the KISS principal) (Keep It Simple) I see that some other sources for tanks have been posted on this thread
door.JPG
consoles.JPG
so I will explore them as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts