Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Defender 110 300tdi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start a stink by any means, but I need opinions before I move forward in any direction.

I have a 1996 Defender with a 300tdi. It started to spew oil out the exhaust last year and I took it to a shop to get it sorted. First we replaced the head and head gasket, and as I was driving home from that visit ($4000) the truck died on the road and was towed back.

From there we determined that the whole motor really needed to be rebuilt with new rings, new block, new head, gasket, refurbished injectors, new turbo, etc. You can probably imagine what the bill might be.

Fast forward to today and I've brought the truck home last week. It's been gone since May I believe. I'm super happy to have it home, and it runs fine. No oil out the exhaust. But I do have oil spraying out somewhere near the front L side, I believe from the union of the dipstick to the block?

And from the video you can see exhaust coming out of the dipstick and the oil filler cap.

My questions are, is this amount of pressure normal or acceptable? If you had spent ~$15,000 within the last year would you send the truck back to be looked at again? And would you send it back to the same shop or seek some type of compensation and send it elsewhere? I'm not naming the shop as I'm really not unhappy with them, and they've been accomodating. But the work took a very long time, seemed expensive, and the results don't seem to meet up with expectations.

Idle Video

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
It should be under warranty and they should fix it. If you had that work done, and it cost that, and they are accommodating, they should WANT to make it right. Talk with them— but no, that isn’t normal and sounds like ring blow by pressurizing the crank case. How many break in miles? Seems odd and can even blow by seals— not ideal,

·
Super Moderator
14,395 Posts
That is not normal. Serious blowby or a blown head gasket. Either issue means a really back rebuild.

Did they do the rebuild themselves or buy a rebuilt engine? Anyway, sound like the shop is not any good.

Oil in the exhaust is a turbo problem or retarded timing.

You are best to cut ties and find a qualified shop based on recommendations from here.

·
Registered
1996 Defender 110 300tdi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is not normal. Serious blowby or a blown head gasket. Either issue means a really back rebuild.

Did they do the rebuild themselves or buy a rebuilt engine? Anyway, sound like the shop is not any good.

Oil in the exhaust is a turbo problem or retarded timing.

You are best to cut ties and find a qualified shop based on recommendations from here.

They rebuilt it themselves using a doner block from another engine after it was determined that my block was too worn to properly machine out.

They are a well-known operation so I'm really hoping that they stand behind the work. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I did not do a thorough inspection when I picked the truck up in order to see if these issues were present before I drove away. And I wonder if they will point back to me saying that I didn't break it in properly or something like that. Can things really go this wrong if you don't break in a motor correctly?

I've driven it what I consider to be very mildly for the past week and a half about 40 miles a day. Differing RPM's not getting close to redline. Keeping speeds relatively low. Don't know what else I could have done.

·
Super Moderator
14,395 Posts
Can things really go this wrong if you don't break in a motor correctly?
No. There is nothing you have done wrong and nothing you can do to cause what you are seeing.

It is a poor quality rebuild. Either the head gasket has blown or there is massive ring blowby. Both issues are due to errors in rebuilding the engine.

The problem is that if they can't be trusted to rebuild the engine properly (these are very simple engines), then I would not feel comfortable with any of the other work they performed.

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
It is a poor quality rebuild.

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts
You should not feel like you should have known it was still bad when you picked it up.

Reactions: don

·
Registered
1996 Defender 110 300tdi
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should not feel like you should have known it was still bad when you picked it up.
I appreciate you saying this. I'm kicking myself for not checking something so simple when it was still at the shop. But I had my 6yr old son with me and we were so excited to get it back. I stomached paying an $11k+ bill and we threw his carseat in and took off. I was mostly just choking down spending that amount of money and really assumed all was good to go!

·
Super Moderator
14,395 Posts
One thing to check as it just reminded me. With the 300, you can get what looks like blowby from a failed vacuum pump. Sometimes when they fail, they pump air into the block.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bring it back to the shop that did the work and give them a chance to make it right. If they balk, out them here. If they fix it at their expense then praise them here.

I have worked as a consultant with an automotive dealer who does work on classics for a select group of owners. It is difficult repairing classic vehicles, as there are often multiple issues, some cropping up after something else has been repaired. I suppose it all depends on what you agreed to at the beginning of the relationship. If they agreed to rebuild the motor to a certain condition -- your expectations and their scope of work clearly defined -- they need to make good on what was promised / paid for. Hopefully there is a contract or work order involved.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
450 Posts
Sorry to hear that you’re having an engine issue. It’s so sad that this story plays out “ over and over again” with shops that have long waiting lists to get into. Once they start invoicing you monthly, it never stops. And the average quality is blamed on vendors and parts- instead of the real issue of their labor lacking care and commitment to getting the job done correctly.
whatever you decide, just don’t open your checkbook anymore to them. You’re learning, and you have options. The good news is, you have your truck back! These engines are well documented and have the best parts supply globally compared to any other. Reset and regroup when you have the proper support. After all, motors are 1 phone call away and a few days of labor to swap. All the other BS is insanity! Good luck, we’re rooting for ya! Keep the thread updated.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
Sounds like a **** rebuild and they want you to pay for their mistakes. First being a bad recommendation for just replacing the head without proper diagnostics (sounds like you paid twice for that head replacement labor). For that kind of money, you should have zero blowby and oil consumption. Do not give that shop any rope. They will take whatever they can from you if you let them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts