Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an LS conversion and had been using the Dakota Digital dash which was powered off the OBD 2 connector. As part of installing a Puma dash on a NAS bulkhead project I switched to Nick's can bus setup. Unfortunately, I have to provide speed to the PUMA cluster via VSS. Normally that would come out of the transfer case but I have an Ashcroft ATB transfer case and instead of having the VSS, I've got a freeze plug.

Can someone tell me the parts I need to install the VSS in my transfer case. I have 33" wheels and 3.74:1 gears. I understand I need an o-ring, mounting assembly, gear assembly and a specific gear for my setup. Can anyone provide a BOM so I can get an order placed?

Thanks,
Amit

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
The tranny has a sensor Built in I believe that can go through the can bus (6l80/6l90/8l90). But depends on tranny which you don’t mention... have you checked with Nick?

·
Super Moderator
12,288 Posts
If you got a Ashcroft LT230, it should have a speedo output. Are you saying they supplied a rear housing without one? If so (which would be very strange), you can swap out the rear output housing.

The stock VSS is part number YBE100530 and goes onto the speedo output, left side in front of the handbrake.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I've never seen an Ashcroft box come with anything except a little yellow plastic plug in the speedo output hole. I can't imagine they'd put a freeze plug there, but I suppose you could remove it if they did

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Pull the plug and see if the shaft drive gear is there, could be an D2 tail housing?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: we got VSS working. Speed is reading 15% low but at least from a wiring perspective we are fine. I have a 20 tooth gear. Will more gears(21, 22 or 23) make it read even faster or slower? We will go into the configuration for the Puma 2.2 cluster and pick a different tire size. Problem is that 33" is not available so it's going to be a combination of picking other tire sizes than what ever is set along with one of the 4 gear sizes . Hoping someone knows if more gears = reads faster. If I want fewer gears maybe someone has a line on a 17 tooth version. One way or another we will get there.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quick update. More gears actually results in the spedometer reading lower which is what I wanted. Also appears it holds to the ratio of gears. Going from 20 to 23 gears resulted in 20/23 or .86 times times the speed which is exactly what I needed for my 33" tires. I'm off 1MPH at 60 now. Bought a speedometer correction box from Ashcroft and am not even going to bother installing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts