Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone near Albany NY, whom I can borrow the two wrenches I need to replace my viscous fan and water pump from?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I exhausted all suggested methods and finally removed it as a unit with the water pump, then cut it off. Now, all methods work :).

You can borrow the 32/36 mm thin spanner from most auto parts stores if nearby...definitely try the method suggested above first.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
get the wrenches. 80% of the DIY jobs you do require that fan to come off. That's the first special tool anybody should have.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
If its never been off it can be a real pain and smacking a wrench with a hammer may not get it. Ive used a free rental tool from Pep Boys to hold the viscous clutch while turning the nut.
Once you get it off slap some antiseize on there and the hammer smacking trick will work every time from there on out.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
It's a tight fit for conventional wrenches. I went and bought a slim wrench for bikes. 32mm isn't it? Only cost me $12

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I exhausted all suggested methods and finally removed it as a unit with the water pump, then cut it off. Now, all methods work :).
Lmao....

You left out one other method! Using a chisel to turn the nut.

Get the proper tool. punch it in amazon and its 40 or so. Same size nut as many BMWs so the tool is common and cheap. Less than 10 seconds and its off, you dont damage the water pump, your fingers, engine bay or the nut itself. When putting the fan cluch back on make sure tye threads are clean and apply a tiny bit of anti seize so it'll come off without any possible issues in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Lmao.... You left out one other method! Using a chisel to turn the nut. Get the proper tool. punch it in amazon and its 40 or so. Same size nut as many BMWs so the tool is common and cheap. Less than 10 seconds and its off, you dont damage the water pump, your fingers, engine bay or the nut itself. When putting the fan cluch back on make sure tye threads are clean and apply a tiny bit of anti seize so it'll come off without any possible issues in the future.
36 for 4.0 GEMS IIRC. 180k and it was frozen solid. As I stated, I tried every method...including your chisel. And I whacked that sucker without regard for the WP...

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's a left hand thread, sometimes! :grin

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
is there a photo of these spanners? are we talking about just a big open end wrench or is this thing special in some way?

I plan on pulling my VC and fan tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, they ar skinny. And, they don't look like they are worth $100 US for the set from a certain rover parts supplier. they look like they are worth $10

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I bought the set I posted that's on ebay for $100 for $49 from Amazon a few years ago.

Great having the right tool.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts