Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Probably giving CBP too much credit. Most of them were banking on LR corporate that didn't know what they were doing. They even called us at times to find out if engines were original to the vehicles while they were at port.

It is definitely time, and port dependent

·
Registered
169 Posts
Probably giving CBP too much credit. Most of them were banking on LR corporate that didn't know what they were doing. They even called us at times to find out if engines were original to the vehicles while they were at port.

It is definitely time, and port dependent
I also suspect it's pretty chaotic and they simply don't have time to dig into things very much. I've seen several recent imports that had engine swaps overseas. So in this situation, the agent may see the missing character and say "meh, obvious factory error" or they may decide it needs a much deeper investigation. Roll of the dice. But then you'd have to deal with your state process, and the potential hassles of later resale.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I’m not sure that I wouldn’t risk trying to import it

My Stage 1 109 was titled as a ‘73, but it wasn’t.

My first truck “I” imported had both sides of the frame plated in front. If ever there was a truck to be refused, this was it. First it was reported as abandoned and then the bomb squad showed up convinced it had been dumped in a residential area outside Manchester. Picking it up at the port in Jersey was its own adventure!

My 110 I have now has NO matching numbers, non-original engine, and the body style does not match the VIN, it is a Non-hi cap crew cab, but VIN says it is a “regular”, VIN also says four-cylinder petrol, but it has a 3.5, and an LT-230.

Sometimes they come in under the radar and I don’t think the radar is as finely tuned as it was 10-12 years ago.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts