Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Think there are actually 2 errors.
If you can't get all of this corrected, it would be much too risky to import.
SLLDHM68TA989708
SEurope
A (Missing)United Kingdom
LLand Rover
L
DNinety, One Ten, 127, Defender
H110″ (L/R)
M5 door Station Wagon & 7 Door SW
6 (Doesn't Decode)??? - Engine
8LHD, 5 speed
T1995-96 Likely 1996
ASolihull
Serial989708

Reactions: mitherial

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Think there are actually 2 errors.
SLLDHM68TA989708
SEurope
A (Missing)United Kingdom
LLand Rover
L
DNinety, One Ten, 127, Defender
H110″ (L/R)
M5 door Station Wagon & 7 Door SW
6 (Doesn't Decode)??? - Engine
8LHD, 5 speed
T1995-96 Likely 1996
ASolihull
Serial989708

I decoded it some time ago and it came out SAT. Plus, I ran a history check on it in May of 2021. I saw no errors. Engine, axle, everything lined up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rovers are prone to rust even in dry climates like Italy. Replacement chassis’s only cost a few thousand quid and are swapped out constantly regardless how common Rovers are in their country.
Unfortunately, this sounds accurate. After being here for over 4 years, I find they always get everything about 90% right.

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
That's interesting because this is the documentation I have showing engine decode:
Your vehicle should be an F according to this:

Digit # 8 (Engine):
B = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, Turbo diesel
C = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, diesel
D = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, petrol
F = 200 Tdi & 300 Tdi (2.5 Liter, 4 cyl., Turbo Diesels)
G = 2.25l diesel & Freelander V6
H = 2.25l petrol
M = 3.9 liter V8 (injection)
P = 2.6l 6 cylinder, petrol
V = 3.5l V8 petrol (carburetor)
Y = 2 liter T16 petrol
Z = 3.9 liter Isuzu diesel
3= 4.2 V8 petrol (injection)
8 = Td5

Your VIN has a 6 = does not decode above, yet BMIHT says its a 300TDI.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
That's interesting because this is the documentation I have showing engine decode:
Your list is old. 6 = EGR TDI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Your vehicle should be an F according to this:

Digit # 8 (Engine):
B = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, Turbo diesel
C = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, diesel
D = 2.5l, 4 cylinder, petrol
F = 200 Tdi & 300 Tdi (2.5 Liter, 4 cyl., Turbo Diesels)
H = 2.25l petrol
M = 3.9 liter V8 (injection)
V = 3.5l V8 petrol (carburetor)
Y = 2 liter T16 petrol
Z = 3.9 liter Isuzu diesel
3= 4.2 V8 petrol (injection)
8 = Td5

ModelDefender
Class110
Body Type5 door station wagon (SW)
Model Year1996
SteeringLHD
Engine300Tdi, 2.5, 4 Cylinder, Diesel, with EGR/Cat, 23L
Gearbox5 Speed, R380, Manual
FactorySolihull, UK
Sequential number989708
Paint codeCurrently unknown. Browse all 1996 Defender colours
SALLDHM68TA989708

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Good to know, guys.
Will update my list.
I noticed that the following were dropped:
H = 2.25l petrol

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Think you're referencing the full list in post 27 authored by JohnB.
Weren't rolldown windows with the anti-burst latches standard in both 1985 and 1987?

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
The VIN Decoder on LRWorkshop has my year as 1985 and your list has "B" as 1987. Since she has rolldown windows with the anti-burst latches its definitely not an '87...
A and B "date" codes did not specify the production date. It was not until 1988 that they started to use date codes that matched the model year.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
A and B "date" codes did not specify the production date. It was not until 1988 that they started to use date codes that matched the model year.
So I am missing your point - let me back up - the 10th letter in my vin is B. Everything I have looked at tells me this is a MY1985. I understand that it may have been sold from the dealer as an MY1986 and based on the design cues this is fair and reasonable as these doors where not offered in MY1987 (as far as I can tell)

What you are saying is that this 10th letter if it was an A or a B is just a random selection and was not when it rolled off the line but was based on something else? Cause I don't see how that makes any sense.

Sorry for being a box of rocks...

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
So I am missing your point - let me back up - the 10th letter in my vin is B. Everything I have looked at tells me this is a MY1985. I understand that it may have been sold from the dealer as an MY1986 and based on the design cues this is fair and reasonable as these doors where not offered in MY1987 (as far as I can tell)

What you are saying is that this 10th letter if it was an A or a B is just a random selection and was not when it rolled off the line but was based on something else? Cause I don't see how that makes any sense.
A and B where used for the date codes from 1983 to 1987. You can sort of roughly determine a build date from the serial number or you can request the build date from the British Heritage Museum and get the exact date

·
Registered
120 Posts
VIN errors from factory are common on Defenders as they are stamped by hand, we have turned down many Defenders with missing digits or digits crossed out and replaced, we deem these too risky for US import and therefore avoid, especially frustrating as sometimes the car is A1. If the car was cheap it's probably worth rolling the dice on it, I reckon it's 50/50 whether they pick up on it or not, but this could vary depending on which port and inspector on the day! Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
everything checks out based on my VIN too SALLDVA67TA996797 is my August 1996 Defender 90 300tdi EGR 23L Engine Code. yours is just a little older than mine. it does look like it could be a replacement chassis/ panel, if your in england, i know richardson has the ability to stamp your factory VIN on the chassis before they send it to you, you might be able to find someone to grind the stamping off and restamp the right number, you will want to make sure your VIN tag is in the right place under the hood, and at the window.

·
Registered
169 Posts
everything checks out based on my VIN too SALLDVA67TA996797 is my August 1996 Defender 90 300tdi EGR 23L Engine Code. yours is just a little older than mine. it does look like it could be a replacement chassis/ panel, if your in england, i know richardson has the ability to stamp your factory VIN on the chassis before they send it to you, you might be able to find someone to grind the stamping off and restamp the right number, you will want to make sure your VIN tag is in the right place under the hood, and at the window.
The risk then is that CBP will see a nice clean stamping and balk. IIRC this truck lacks the tag on the brake booster, so combined with that, I'd be very leery.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
The risk then is that CBP will see a nice clean stamping and balk. IIRC this truck lacks the tag on the brake booster, so combined with that, I'd be very leery.
And the fact that all this information is posted on a public forum.... I know it sounds crazy, but CBP can use Google.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Adding the “A”, I get…….

21 - 40 of 44 Posts