Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1996 defender 110 out here in italy a few years ago. I think I made a series of errors. First when purchasing the defender I noticed the vin on the chassis was different than the one on the Title but not (for what I thought) was a substantive way. It was missing the 2nd letter in the VIN. The last six numbers are the serial. Time goes by and I forget about it. I change the clutch, rebuild the engine, gearbox, brakes, etc... Finally, I am prepping to ship it back home and I verify the numbers when performing the customs check and the export paperwork. The only vin left is on the chassis and it is off by that letter. Has anyone ever heard of this? Did I screw myself? I already sent a photo into the LR headquarters to see if they have any history on this. Waiting is killing me. I thought you all might know something.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The frame says "SLLD..." no A. Does it have a VIN tag in the windshield? What does it say? That is the only one they looked at when I imported my cars. I would get the paperwork corrected before shipping IMO.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
The frame is a problem and will prevent import if they look at it.

Reactions: TechN9NETY

·
Registered
153 Posts
The frame says "SLLD..." no A. Does it have a VIN tag in the windshield? What does it say? That is the only one they looked at when I imported my cars. I would get the paperwork corrected before shipping IMO.
The paperwork isn’t the number that’s wrong and doesn’t need to be corrected because it is correct. The chassis is the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a VIN tag in the windshield or is this the only VIN on the truck?
There was one before. I forgot where. the mechanic might have tossed it when replacing the brakes or it fell in the window. I know I saw it somewhere because I remember the issue. I was just too naive back then to make a big deal about the chassis. Total idiot. I was new to Italy, it was relatively cheap. Everyone was out on the beach thinking COVID was done. Just a plain happy go lucky dumbass.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
Exactly. Hopefully Land Rover Jaguar in England can say something about it. Everything else lines up.
Land Rover won't know anything. I'm not sure what you think they do there..... Drunk workers hand stamping the chassis in their sleep.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
That’s an odd error; doesn’t the “SALL” just refer to Land Rover as the manufacturer (common to all modern LRs)?
SAL = Land Rover.
LD = Defender.

The problem.... CBP is very picky about the chassis being original.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Land Rover won't know anything. I'm not sure what you think they do there..... Drunk workers hand stamping the chassis in their sleep.
You would think they'd take a photo for their records or something. Or have records of it being commonplace. I don't know...I want to drive it up the mountain and drop it off a cliff right now. I also found a maremmano puppy when I was playing hide and seek with my son in those mountains. The guy was about two weeks old with no teeth. I'd never even heard of a maremmano at the time. He's 130 lbs now and is going to cost me thousands to get back stateside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SAL = Land Rover.
LD = Defender.

The problem.... CBP is very picky about the chassis being original.
I sent a photo to CBP and asked. Once I get a reply saying i'm screwed, I'll place it on the forum to hopefully help someone else avoid this issue.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I sent a photo to CBP and asked. Once I get a reply saying i'm screwed, I'll place it on the forum to hopefully help someone else avoid this issue.
The problem is that whatever they tell you by email is not binding. The guy that inspects it on the day is all that matters. CBP is fun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You would think they'd take a photo for their records or something. Or have records of it being commonplace. I don't know...I want to drive it up the mountain and drop it off a cliff right now. I also found a maremmano puppy when I was playing hide and seek with my son in those mountains. The guy was about two weeks old with no teeth. I'd never even heard of a maremmano at the time. He's 130 lbs now and is going to cost me thousands to get back stateside.
Its not a mistake by LR. It’s a mistake by the idiot that stamped the replacement chassis.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Normally replacing a frame for an old car costs more than replacing the car. I thought this anyway. These cars aren't rare over here.
Rovers are prone to rust even in dry climates like Italy. Replacement chassis’s only cost a few thousand quid and are swapped out constantly regardless how common Rovers are in their country.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts