Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on the freeway yesterday going about 80 and when i took my foot off the gas my truck made this horrible grinding noise and started shaking pretty harshly. this happened 6-7 times and only seems to happen when im going that fast. im thinkin it has something to do with the lift that i just had put on, b/c this never happend before.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
vibes

Are you running the stock gears or 4.11's? IF 4.11's, it sounds like the governor is kicking in(at maybe 80-85?). That's normally when you re-gear, at least to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im just running the stock gears. could this have anything to do with the drivelines?

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I would first stab aguess at the driveshafts/joints. Vibrations after a lift are common in those if they need replacing after a lift on Discos.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
The least expensive fix to this problem is going 75 :grin :grin

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
James,
How much lift? What Mfg? I did an OME 764-f 781-r and had to replace both driveshafts. I agree with Chris u-joints/driveshaft. The front went first with very a similar reaction to what you are describing.

Dante

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well problem solved...damn driveshafts. well there goes another grand :(
i think im gonna go with the great basin ones...

Oh and buckon, the truck has never been able to run over 70 before but for somereason it was real kind to me, so you know i had to take advantage of the speed i had... but i do love your problem solving! haha, anyways i really hope we can meet up soon

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
James check out Tom Woods driveshafts. I put two of his double cardan shafts on my 90. I think the web site is www.4xshaft.com.
A really great product and a really good guy. Best of luck.

Dante

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Hey,

Good fix. We are going to get everybody together in SoCal soon for a run, should be tons of fun. I will pm you soon to talk about it!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
rover4x4 said:
and I thought going 65 was a task :eek:
Heck, I regularly get mine up to 90 on I-25.

Matter of fact, it does real good at speed on the open prairie as well. :grin Was hunting antelope last weekend and in order to herd them, you gotta outrun them.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts