Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to get it tuned and dialed in now but one question for those of you with this unit. I know the paperwork says it is louder than the stock turbo but damn, it sounds like I have a 3/4“ air tool hose hooked to a commercial trailer compressor Free flowing under my hood when that thing kicks in. Is that normal or do I have something else going on? It seems to running great, a bit of black smoke Under load at low rpms but I’m not done messing with the pump. So far I have only turned up the fueling( one full turn) and brought the idle back down. I have seen performance engine set ups with some type of jacket over the turbo but that looks like an insulation wrap

thanks, Jason

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
I've never heard any turbo noise.

The only time I've seen people with turbo noise is when they have a boost leak or a short, open exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
No noise here, I would even say it quieter than the old one

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great! Ok, thank you. I’m hoping it’s just an exhaust leak Someplace.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
If it sounds like an air tool you actually probably have a boost leak on the compression side of the turbo. An exhaust leak which just sound like exhaust

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I found the problem. The filter to turbo hose looks to be dissolving.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, that wasnt the problem. I found another intake hose in my parts pile and replaced it but I’m still getting the high pressure air noise. I’m getting normal boost readings so I assume the hoses are all good? My next guess would be possibly a leak somewhere at the intake manifold? I can’t really get it to show up unless the engine is under load so it’s hard to figure out exactly where it’s coming from

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
You're just going to have to start poking around under there. Check all the connections, Make sure anything isn't rubbing, ect.

Maybe there's a mechanical issue?

May want to post a video. I'll be wrenching pretty much all weekend so you're welcome to stop by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts