Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some help/advice on hooking up the installed VDO Oil Temp gauge. Gauge is not functioning because I didn't have the correct sender when the gauge swap happened. It does have power for the gauge backlighting when I turn on the headlights (which also aren't working, but that's a different issue...), but has no temp indications.

I saw this video that recommends using an adapter on the oil sump plug to get the temp reading and then wiring it to the gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmv7Ei2xeAI

I was looking for an oil sump adapter and took some pictures of my oil sump and I have 2 plugs, one of which has wires coming out of it. I also have a working Oil temp pressure gauge that has a wired coming off of the sender, but I think that is supposed to go to my oil px light in the binnacle. I'm pretty sure that light does not work either. I bought what I thought is the correct temp sender but I'm not sure if I need to get one of the sump plugs drilled, if I can used the existing wires, or if I need a special adapter.

As you can tell I'm kind of lost and need a little guidance. Ideally I'd like to get the Oil Temp VDO gauge and the Oil Px light binnacle light working. I can take pictures of the back of the gauge tomorrow if that will help me diagnose. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
3.5 v8 with 14CUX EFi
Those engines have a port on the oil filter housing for an oil temperature transmitter. I'm not sure the thread size. Best to pull the plug and measure.

They also have a port for an oil pressure sender, so there was no point in using the tee fitting.

·
Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
Pretty sure this is right. Best I can find the oil temp port is 9/16" UNF (weird size), but LR make a 5/8" UNF adapter, part number 611514. Best to check the threads yourself though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
the unit on the sump is a oil level switch? AFU2786?

I take your Px means pressure?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes sorry. Px is Pilot talk for pressure. Still not sure what the wires coming out of the oil tank are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,372 Posts
Your engine is from an early range rover that had an oil level warning light, that's what is in the side of the sump. This was deleted on later trucks.Senders are matched to gauges. You need to figure out where you wish to take a temp reading be it @ the filter head or @ the sump. You then need to look @ which sending units work with the gauge you have bought ( they vary by different resistance ranges) and what size and thread pitches are available and you then need to obtain an adapter to go from the thread of the aperture you have chosen down to the thread of one of the available sender's that works with your gauge.
If your oil pressure light is not working try removing the signal wire from the sensor and ground it to a bare metal surface on the engine, light should be on, if not suspect the bulb has expired or has corrosion. If the bulb illuminates your sender is bad. The sender is a pressure on off switch that switches ground to the lamp.
Your convoy light switch was worn out, erratic. If it hasn't been replaced, it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Doug. I guess I’ll be starting a Wanted thread for a convoy switch!

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Random/dumb question.... why oil temp in a 3.5? I would be way more concerned with coolant temp, and oil pressure.. just me though... oil temp is a function of overall block temp... this coolant is more important and what kills engines. That is the first gauge I would replace with a VDO.
These engines don’t have a lot of oil pressure which is important so I just did a gauge for that (and now have 2 coolant temp gauges (sniper is one)

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have coolant along with oil px, oil temp, rpm, fuel, speedo & voltage. Oil temp is the only one that isn’t working. I know I don’t really need it as I don’t tow anything, but it’s slightly annoying to have it installed but inop.

I’d eventually like to get one of these coolant lights as well.

https://youtu.be/OHfD-BNPVcg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a voltage gauge on the far left. Plan for the middle of the Mud UK console is to get a large 8-Day vintage aviation clock made by Breitling and stick it in there. I saw Bo had a little one in his 110 and I got clock envy.... You know what they say about Pilots and big watches...

Something like this:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts