Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with a non-stock heavier duty sway / anti roll bar at the back of a 110? With a rooftop tent I've got a fair bit of lean on turns. Terrafirma sells one at about 2-3x the price of the stock one. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with the upgrade. Thx.

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
I actually didn't know that a stronger one existed and thought just having it on or off was the only difference. Let me know what you find. We have tried to take a lot of the body role off our 110 and even lowered the rear end an inch to help accomplish it. Well, that and getting it in the garage ?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Wish I had known about those. Is that rear only? Do you guys know?
As far as I know it is rear only. Love the concept (sort of a manual version of J**P's disconnecting sway bar, but personally I'm not that fond of the implementation, seems to be awfully low hanging fruit for a truck that goes off road..

EDIT: This appears to be a Kit for front and back, listing Range Rover Classic and Discovery but not Defender? Quite the price tag for Sway bars though..

·
Super Moderator
13,597 Posts
As far as I know it is rear only. Love the concept (sort of a manual version of J**P's disconnecting sway bar, but personally I'm not that fond of the implementation, seems to be awfully low hanging fruit for a truck that goes off road..
It is no lower than the stock one. They use a stock rear halfshaft and freewheeling hub.

Yes, there is that front and rear one from Australia, bu the price is stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
It is no lower than the stock one. They use a stock rear halfshaft and freewheeling hub.
Maybe, to my eye it looks lower. Here is my line of thinking, just the fact that they start by using a 30-60mm spacer seems like it pushes it down further, and the the diameter of a free wheeling hub is much greater than the stock sway bar, and the left side bracket seems large, and low hanging to me in the photo (I assume to clear the Exhaust routing)..

But I have not seen one in person, so that is just my impression. Also guessing this won't work on the NAS style Defender with the fuel tank 'cradle' section of the frame being different than the Discovery/RR/ROW Defender that is pictured?

Very curious about the front bar myself, as I run very soft front springs, and could likely see a nice benefit on road from that one. Though I have a feeling it may not fit wit my SG Skidplate, and the NAS frame seems to be different in the front again..

Edit: Hmmm, their site must not allow linking..

Photos of front here, and here..

·
Super Moderator
13,597 Posts
The spacers are only so the bar can clear the tank guard. It can't go any higher. It is all well above the line between the tires and the back of the frame. Stock bars go down with the links facing up, so hang much lower.

For 90s, the sway bar mounts are different. That is a picture of the 110 style sway bar mounts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If there's a group buy for this I'm definitely interested. I also have an RTT and am trying to reduce some of the lean due to the high CG.

·
Registered
1990 ROW 110
374 Posts
I’m up for one in group buy. Just put my stock one back on my build and it looks like it will snap in 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I run with a Maggiolina RTT on my NAS 110, and have recently removed my X-DeFlex sway bar and am currently looking to go another direction.

I like the concept of the X-DeFlex, but I wasn't too happy with the outcome....in my application.

There are several moving parts, and a locking hub with course splines, tended to provide a bit of slack at the end of the connecting arm...which a 1/4" of slack at the bottom, could result in 2" of slack by the time it reached the top of my truck.

The aluminum locking collar would sometimes slide, causing the hub to move and not get a good bite on the internal splines, and trying to keep it tight eventually stripped out the set bolt. I ended up drilling, and tapping additional set bolts to help keep it in place, but just got tired of fighting it, along with everything else. Seemed like I was always reworking the locking hub assembly, as well.

I also had some issues with it shifting to one side or the other...again, a lot of moving parts, and one of the arms did bind up and and bend a bit.

I have seen this setup on another Rover...with a ton of travel, and it seemed to work well for him. I really didn't see much difference in the amount of travel I had, whether the hub was locked, or unlocked.

Spacers were not required to clear my tank, it bolted right up to the stock mounts, and the hub assembly never seemed to get in the way when on trails.

This may be the perfect set up for some, but it was not all I hoped it would be, for me.

Best of luck on your group buy!:cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know of 2 cars that had the X-eng fitted, both bent theirs.
I'd probably look at the LRA ones personally, or make my own. From memory the sway bar part on the LRA ones is an off the shelf torsion bar.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts