Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one on the form have a good source for Oil Cooler Lines?

Need to replace and would like to source and upgrade the lines/set up?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reached out to railhead4x4.com, but no luck and/or returned calls/e-mails.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I pulled mine completely. Unless you live in a desert state they are probably not required.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
you can always buy genuine ones from Rovers North. Aftermarket replacement lines and genuine lines will always need replacing in time--basic maintenance....

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
you can always buy genuine ones from Rovers North. Aftermarket replacement lines and genuine lines will always need replacing in time--basic maintenance....

What Chuck said.
Though, by "upgrading" you should aim to get something that does not spray toward the exhaust manifold when it starts leaking. I got a braided line setup for my D90.
Another option is to go with something that can easily be replaced. I have a setup on my Disco where I can go to any part store, get 4-5ft of tubing for cheap (< $10?) and get new lines. I'm banking on the fact that I will remember to change those every 50K miles.
Anyway, all those options have been discussed elsewhere.
Good luck finding what fits you best!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
They should be considered as a service item with limited lifespan and replaced periodically.

The question is what is the safe service life?

I'm thinking ten years or 120,000 miles based solely on my D1 experience.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Pull 'em and forget all the madness.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
They should be considered as a service item with limited lifespan and replaced periodically.

The question is what is the safe service life?

I'm thinking ten years or 120,000 miles based solely on my D1 experience.
I retired my 1991 RRC to the junkyard last year with its original oil cooler lines intact.
Still had the little metal date bracelets on them.
23 years old and 145,000 miles and no oil fires---though I wished for one more than once.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
There's a reason why manufacturers use oil coolers at extra expence!
An engine that everyone can relate to........the V8 in the Disco II

LR in their wisdom decided to do away with the oil cooler on some years and the owners paid for their mistake in spades! All manner of engine issues resulted from the outcome including excessive heat & excessive lifter noise, lower oil preasure etc... installing a factory oil cooler and lines from a different year Disco II cured it permiantly!! I even install oil coolers on engines that didnt come with it or bigger ones on ones that did! :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently installed the Trailhead cooler lines while performing the 60K maint on my 90. Not cheap but I was very pleased with the quality. Replacement was pretty straightforward and painless. Worth it for the peace of mind - the original lines, nearly 20 yrs old, were ready for the bin.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all. I was able to reach Trailhead.

My lines were original, 198+++ miles. Popped like a pumpkin from a three story drop. And yes, lucky no fire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts