Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this note from a UK Series 1 parts vendor. Anyone else heard this?

Its on all items using USPS I'm not sure about the couriers, we were informed this morning, there is a covid airfreight surcharge and a separate US gov direct, message read:
Last year, the UPU agreed to allow the US to set terminal dues/prices themselves from 1 July. This met the US administration's stated objective - to increase how much they charge other countries for delivery. It averted their threat to leave the global network. It will see a significant increase of over 100% in the the rates we pay for last mile delivery in the US from 1 July. We will have to pass on these costs. We will not profit in doing so.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Yep. The U.S. threatened to pull out of the UPU unless they got changes to the way that the USPS got paid for incoming packages from other countries. Goes along with the trend of disengaging from international agreements and making internat'l trade more difficult with tariffs, etc. The main target was China; in a lot of cases a Chinese vendor paid less postage to ship something to the U.S. than a U.S. vendor did. But the outcome is that the U.S. can now charge whatever they want to foreign post offices to deliver a package, starting July 1.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I’ve never had a vendor send anything to me by royal post/USPS
I have, for small parts, from small vendors (eBay vendors and similar). They have to be under 2 kg, but it's what vendors that aren't set up for routine internat'l shipping tend to use.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never had a vendor send anything to me by royal post/USPS
[/QUOTE]

I have. Especially with DHL which uses USPS for last mile delivery in my area.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
The China subsidy on small packages has pissed me off for 5 years. I’m glad it is changing. Nite Ize, a Local CO company, brought it to my attention. China was selling and shipping direct for less than Their shipping Cost alone. How could that be? Because we subsidize China parcels less than somewhere around 2lbs— this was for the immigrant workers to keep them in touch with their families and has been exploited for last 2 decades. They no longer need nor should that get this— it is unfair that US citizens are subsidizing China companies at the expense of our own. good for them. I’ll wait and see what it does— but I doubt very much it will double the cost for normal parcels from UK and mainland Europe. We will see soon enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts