Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Th pervious owner put a snorkel on. I've changed the air filter a few times but the other day was the first time noticing a factory-made hole in the bottom of the air filter housing (2.5TD). Does anyone have any recommendations to plug this up? Or is there an aftermarket housing I should be looking at?

Reference pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Every air filter housing has a drain(for the most part). Most of them aren't that large though. Looks like you're missing NTC3751, which unfortunately isn't available from LR any longer. There may be alternatives though

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts
Water does not compress when inside an internal combustion engine.
Your best option is to leave the hole open to the atmosphere to drain water from the inlet charge of the engine.
If you become more obsessed with the opening put some sort of screen underneath the opening to make you feel more secure, but leave it open to the atmosphere.
If the hole was whole it wouldn't be a hole and thus never needed, but it is needed, so best left alone to be hole.

Round piece of plastic and some silicone? Body plug and some silicone?
Do NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!
Again leave the hole alone, like it is a power that is not understood, but a requirement for a healthy existence.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Uh...not seeing the point of a snorkel....
Some people think they look cool(?)

I've also heard folks say they help in dusty driving by putting the air inlet up high.

But few rigs are set up for deep wading (diesel, no or waterproofed electrics, etc).

If you really want to plug the hole, maybe with some sort of 1-way check valve that lets water drain, but not back in.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That hole is to let water out in the event that water gets in. With no snorkel water will get in.

There is probably a rubber duck bill grommet so that only water goes out and not in.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
That hole is to let water out in the event that water gets in. With no snorkel water will get in.

There is probably a rubber duck bill grommet so that only water goes out and not in.
Correct. The part I referenced earlier looks like this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts