Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1431 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on with the GOP? I don't get it. Is it the result of the Democratic Party? Is it 'Obama's fault' for pushing 7 years of his ideology down the throats of Americans that brings this populous candidate? Someone explain what is going on. I've voted for Reagan (1x) Clinton (1x) George W (2x), and Obama (2x). Don't have a clue this year, but it won't be Trump, Cruz or Rubio.
If you are behind Trump, please share why.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
GOP has to change. period.

why do african americans ALWAYS vote democrat, no matter what? explain that? Dems could put forward Bongo the chimp, and it would get the black vote. why do dems want me to pay for non-americans to live here?

for every doubt that the left has about the right, the right has about the left. there is no getting around that half the country is left and other half is right, and we have to coexist in same space. cant do that without compromise and moderate thinking.

the idea of berney sanders far left, hippy era psitions is repugnant to the right.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
The GOP doesn't appear to have a clear message other than block what Obama does.

They haven't articulated any alternative policies as they appear to be fractured between the mainstream GOP and tea party.

In a power vacuum you see alternatives rise and trumps message of I'm different resonates even with some otherwise searingly intelligent voters. His classic saber rattling and vacuous comments resonate because there isn't an alternative message. The GOP leadership failed to unite their party, set a clear agenda and establish a message that the party agreed on. They left it up to candidates to define the party policy and those messages are very weakly articulated.

It's was easy in this environment for trump to makes some bold, borderline insane statements and attract a core following. He's however alienated the demographics that the democrats and GOP need to win the whitehouse. This election is turning out to be a choice between Trump and not Trump rather than evaluation of real policy and direction.

A subset of GOP voters will vote trump and a large number will probably abstain leading to a huge Democrat win. As over lander so eloquently states, the democrats can field any candidate and they will likely win as they can't possible field someone worse than trump.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
What is going on with the GOP? I don't get it. Is it the result of the Democratic Party? Is it 'Obama's fault' for pushing 7 years of his ideology down the throats of Americans that brings this populous candidate? Someone explain what is going on. I've voted for Reagan (1x) Clinton (1x) George W (2x), and Obama (2x). Don't have a clue this year, but it won't be Trump, Cruz or Rubio.
If you are behind Trump, please share why.
Trump is out of touch with the middle class and has no hope of winning.
You know what he doesn't stand for, Obama and his "policies", but you have no idea what Trump stands for.
He really adds no value.
Speaking of adding no value: I think madam Clinton will go all the way, but almost none of them are worth voting for including her.
It's sad.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
The GOP doesn't appear to have a clear message other than block what Obama does.

They haven't articulated any alternative policies as they appear to be fractured between the mainstream GOP and tea party.

In a power vacuum you see alternatives rise and trumps message of I'm different resonates even with some otherwise searingly intelligent voters. His classic saber rattling and vacuous comments resonate because there isn't an alternative message. The GOP leadership failed to unite their party, set a clear agenda and establish a message that the party agreed on. They left it up to candidates to define the party policy and those messages are very weakly articulated.

It's was easy in this environment for trump to makes some bold, borderline insane statements and attract a core following. He's however alienated the demographics that the democrats and GOP need to win the whitehouse. This election is turning out to be a choice between Trump and not Trump rather than evaluation of real policy and direction.

A subset of GOP voters will vote trump and a large number will probably abstain leading to a huge Democrat win. As over lander so eloquently states, the democrats can field any candidate and they will likely win as they can't possible field someone worse than trump.
Ironically, I agree in majority with this. It's too bad that the dems didn't put forward a moderate not beholden to the same old same old that had support.

We need to put moderate politicians on the species endangered list. If Clinton wins, get ready for 4-8 more years of government shutdown, budget continuing resolutions, and stupid social issue battles (abortion, health care, lgbt rights).

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
What really SUCKS for me...it's my first time I can vote.....doubtful I will bother unless someone comes up as a good Independent with ideals down the middle.

Once again...American politicians and politicking is the laughing stock of the world

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I'm not sure where the rot started with the GOP.

Was it when they invited the Christian Coalition in (Bush senior)?

Was it with Newt Gingrinch and his constant "truth of the matter" I'm right you're wrong ideology?

Its now led to the Tea Party whose koolaid the GOP drank (not always a pleasant taste) and look where its got us.

Conventional wisdom GOP put $130million into Jeb! The adopted children of the GOP have taken it over. I was never satisfied with the er trumped up grounds for the Iraqi war.

Worst fear is a Trump V Clinton. Then Clinton gets indicted over the summer. Or worse. Clinton gets elected then impeachment proceedings have to start due to the server issues.

My prediction is a Trump/Kasich ticket. He wont want Marco Robo as his side kick.

Clinton.....plus er um..who wants that job? One indictment away from the Presidency. Whoever is her VP might have to do a Gerald Ford and pardon Clinton.

What a mess.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Just look at any other country in the world with a female head of state for the answer to that somewhat sexist question. Surprising coming from a foreigner :)

You and Jonesy and Shane and all the other non-americans should all be thankful that Kellgren is paying for you to live here.

Trump is a buffoon. Hillary is an automaton with no heartbeat. People are stupid. What else is new?

I wonder what Bubba's title will be First Gentleman ? how is that going to work ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Trump is an idiot and dangerous (lack of understanding, fear mongering, short sighted). Hillary is the wicked witch of the west and is highly dangerous (power hungry, Liar, Total disregard for laws and procedures, entitled).
God help us all. ANYONE else may be better than those two.

Trump is playing on people's fears and frustrations. That is why people like him, along with him being non-PC and different from our monarchy of Bushes and Clintons.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
If Clinton wins, get ready for 4-8 more years of government shutdown, budget continuing resolutions, and stupid social issue battles (abortion, health care, lgbt rights).
Government shutdown is a response to an act of congress.

Which issues should have been addressed? My guess is that none of the "stupid social issues" affect you specifically?

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
The only thing to blame is our education system, and proves my point that the majority of this country is idiots.

I've said this since I was able to vote....get a candidate that is socially liberal and economically conservative, put them in whatever party you'd like and they will (and should) win.

Instead you have democrats wanting to give away money and entitlements they have no right to, and republicans who insist gays are the devil and when a woman gets pregnant from a rape it's her fault and she has to have the child.

At this point I would take a good and fair dictator over an elected nut job (which will likely happen)

I am disgusted over sanders policies, and appalled by trumps lack of substance. The two party system is what is ruining American government.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Trump is an idiot and dangerous (lack of understanding, fear mongering, short sighted). Hillary is the wicked witch of the west and is highly dangerous (power hungry, Liar, Total disregard for laws and procedures, entitled). God help us all. ANYONE else may be better than those two. Trump is playing on people's fears and frustrations. That is why people like him, along with him being non-PC and different from our monarchy of Bushes and Clintons.
I agree with this, Trump is a idiot! Why does he have a two digit lead over the field? Because he is saying things that people want to hear. Build a wall. How can we keep letting 10,000 illegals a MONTH come across our borders. Why have borders if we don't enforce the law. We are seen as weak to our enemies. We go to war and don't do what we need to do to win.
What about the superior court? If a democrat appoints the next judge look out. The court will then lean left and a whole lot of things will change. The biggest thing will be gun control.
I could go on for days, Ill end with this. We should be a free people. How much of our lives are controlled by the government ?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Government shutdown is a response to an act of congress. Which issues should have been addressed? My guess is that none of the "stupid social issues" affect you specifically?
I think the primary difference in approach between GOP / Democrats is summarized by 'ME the people' vs 'WE the people'

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Nice to know that we are all on the same page regarding the Donald. I can't vote for Mrs. Clinton or Cruz. So I may waste a vote but at least I know I did my best.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I say set the whole system on fire. Not only do we not have a presidential candidate worth voting for, we do not have anyone is congress or the senate willing to just do their damn job.

The Republicans and Democrats spend more time making sure the other gets nothing done to just keep arguing how bad they are.

As for the Supreme Court BS, just do what you were elected to do. I dont fall for the election year crap since all they do once elected is work to get elected again.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Does anyone actually know anyone in real life who is going to / has voted Trump in the primaries?

I don't. I know a lot of Republicans and not one I know is angling for Trump to win. All are mystified over Trump's popularity.

Yet Trump is raking in consistent >30% votes in all the primaries.

So who is the typical Trump voter? Is anyone on here going to vote Trump on the primary ballot? What's your social demographic?

1 - 20 of 1431 Posts