Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After saving for quite a while the family and I are looking to re-locate to South Africa for a year and then return back to the United States. I was planning on shipping my 300tdi 110 over to save money over a purchase / rental car and for the fact I am comfortable with everything mechanically. My question is will I be able to bring it back into the US as it was initially imported with a 3.5? I have done some reading and cannot figure out the answer. Most of the information I have read does not cover the travel bit and only the initial importation. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I would check with Will H to be sure but i believe that is only initial importation since yours is already titled in the US it shouldn't matter. But don't trust me on that, talk to will. If you can i would keep the registration current while you are there ( i saw NC in your name and here it would be possible since you don't even need an inspection anymore after 30 years)

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
id love to know this answer as well, id like to drive my galv frame, swapped 110 into canada and mexico

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bobby, the other thing you may want to check on is whether the import to SA will be subject to duties. Some African countries have some insane import taxes/fees.
Clay,
I appreciate the heads up. New Zealand to the US to South Africa would be a good run. Hope all is well.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
Indeed it has been a good run. Here’s a blast from the past pic for you.

Another thought I have re the temp assignment to SA is to check and see if SA has a visitor’s exemption like the US does. This would ideally allow you to avoid duties on import as well as potential VAT if you otherwise were required to register the truck in SA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve driven the 300-swapped NAS 90 to Canada many times.
Indeed it has been a good run. Here’s a blast from the past pic for you.

Another thought I have re the temp assignment to SA is to check and see if SA has a visitor’s exemption like the US does. This would ideally allow you to avoid duties on import as well as potential VAT if you otherwise were required to register the truck in SA.
At times I wish it was left as it was back then. Changed a lot!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts