Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will "take a stab" at clarifying the confusing labels that have been placed on the Defender transmission tunnels.
Why?
Because the common terminology is very misleading for a number reasons.
The parts the factory used is supposed to be governed by the parts lists and it is most of the time, but not always.
The factory did what was required to fill specific orders and finish up builds for: military, industrial, commercial, and to fill the civilian show rooms and lots for shipment worldwide.
There were cases of building vehicles to fill orders using up the older parts on hand before fitting the newer versions of parts that became available or were being standardized.

I hope this thread can cover all Defenders both manual and automatic, pre-Puma and Puma, but please DO NOT post up a I did this with this engine conversion or switched this out with my build when I went to a V8, LS, Cummins, and so on.
I am bot sure what tunnel other conversions use, but the Chevy inline 6 conversion uses what we have labeled as the LT77 tunnel.

Feel free to chime in, but please add posts to clarify so the confused owner will be able to come here and gain factual knowledge without 3 hours of reading chatter.
If you like the thread, give it a like here or there, but please refrain from making any "this is great" or "this is terrible" comments, that tend to make a thread much longer than it should be.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The tunnel that has been labeled as the R380.
This tunnel was common to vehicles that had the V8 & 300TDI R380 transmission which are very different from one another, but take the same tunnel assembly.

I believe that the R380 tunnel was also used on 2 of the 3 different LT77 transmissions fitted by the factory.
The 2 versions of the LT77 transmission were the long belhousing LT77 fitted to the 300TDI, and the LT77 fitted to the V8.

This tunnel eventually became standard on all the later Pre-Puma Defenders.

Reactions: terryjm1

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tunnel that has been labeled as the LT77.
2 of the 3 LT77 transmission versions are explained in post 2 that don't use what we now call the LT77 tunnel.
What has been labeled the LT77 tunnel was fitted to the Defenders with all the pre-300TDI 4 cylinder engines.
This third version of the LT77 is typically labeled as the short belhousing LT77.

This LT77 tunnel will also fit the R380 Stumpy which was originally a factory replacement for the short belhousing LT77.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The LT85 and LT95 tunnels and automatic transmission tunnels.
We have a 1984 110 that was fitted with an LT95 and want to compare this to the LT85 tunnel which I am not convinced is the same.
If this is the case there were 4 different pre-Puma Defender transmission tunnel assemblies using the following labels explained above: R380, LT77, and then the LT95, and LT85.
Will post more on this when I make the direct comparison.

Believe that the factory used whatever tunnel would fit the ZF automatic being used because there weren't a large number fitted until the 3.9V8 became available in the 1990s.
Automatics were fitted to the 200TDI, 300TDI, and V8.
We know that the ZF fitted to the 200TDI automatic won't fit under the LT77 tunnel, so a different tunnel was needed.
Wonder if this was the beginning of the R380 tunnel or the LT85 tunnel was used.
I doubt the LT95 tunnel was used for anything other than the LT95, but won't know until I have some time to compare it to the LT85. Non-speculative comments are welcome on this subject.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Good point Rob, I didn't realize that having a ROW and possibly creating confusion in the other post.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We have a 1984 110 that was fitted with an LT95 and want to compare this to the LT85 tunnel which I am not convinced is the same.
I can confirm they are different. LT95 is a 2 piece metal tunnel. LT85 one piece plastic. The Panel on the Bulkhead is also slightly different.

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
6 types were used over the 33 yrs of production
1) 4cyl lt77 -stamped aluminum tunnel 1983-1993 2.25 petrol, 2.5 petrol, 2.5 diesel, 2.5 td, 200 tdi
2) LT95 used in all early V8 trucks and the Australian Perentie military trucks stamped metal
3) LT85 used with mid late 80's V8 trucks and Santana's- fiberglass
5) R380 used with NAS V8's regardless if it was built with Lt77 or R380, 300 tdi's, and TD5's 1994-2006 fiberglass
6) tdci 2007 up to end of production- fiberglass

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
The defender never had an automatic behind any engines before the 97 model year in the NAS 90 & 50th anniversary special editions.
Those automatic trucks used the R380 tunnel and floors like all the other NAS spec defenders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The last time I tried to sort one, the one piece rubber cover for the LT 85 was nla. Tried to fit one for a LT77 but no joy.

·
Registered
1986 Land Rover 110 County Station Wagon
59 Posts
If you have an LT95 and want to change to an R380 (stumpy or long) would u need to change the tunnel and bulkhead?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can tell you that to go from a LT95 to LT85 requires a slightly different component (I think its called Diaphragm assembly) that mates to the bulkhead. The change is small can panel is easily adapted.

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
If you have an LT95 and want to change to an R380 (stumpy or long) would u need to change the tunnel and bulkhead?
First off an lt95 is a 1 piece trans and transfercase. In order to swap you would need a good bit to include transmission, transfercase, new drive shafts or have yours modified to work. Seat box flange is different and modification to seat box would be step 1. Rovers North sells a rivet or screw on adapter
2. R380 fiberglass tunnel
3. The tcase shifter is unique to the r380, need one of those linkages
4) bulkhead diaphragm
5) 2 floor plates

Not a fan of the lt95. The swap is worth every cent.

·
Registered
1986 Land Rover 110 County Station Wagon
59 Posts
Thanks Uncle Doug, appreciate the feedback. She has a bad layshaft bearing too, so noisy as @#&$ in all but 4th, so no love lost seeing it go. Now the big question is what to attach to the R380. Not happening til next spring, so I have time to change my mind 10x

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Professor Davis.

Just a suggestion but as you trip over each type of tunnel, snap a picture or two and post it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts