Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends

Today, out of the blue, after driving about 10 miles, city and highway, the beloved would suddenly not go in to 1st nor 2nd gear. I was able to after trying to get a little momentum from 3rd, to shove it forcefully into 1st but second seems like it was simply missing and it ground badly.

So, I was able to get it home but after experimenting in the driveway, it was clear there was an issue beyond my abilities. The gear shift itself was literally flopping round, seemingly not grabbing any gear at all. Like some linkage broke.... not sure.

Hope its not too serious!

I just had it towed to a transmission shop, Gillece.

Any thoughts, advice appreciated.

Afterthoughts: I did have a 2nd gear grinding issues since I bought the truck. I simply shifted, nice-and-slow and then, it didn't grind. Also, I changed the Transmission and Transfer case oil very recently too. Clutch I believe is approx 5000 miles old from two owners ago. Clutch fluid full.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
What fluid went in during the change?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R380 (I believe... so says the previous owner, 2 ago)

Transmission: 3 qts : MTL Redline
Transfer Case: MIL-L-2105B 80W EP 3 qts : Lucas 80W90

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
possible cheap fixes:
1. shifter yoke assembly grub screw.
2. turret assembly play in ball.

Drain the oil, check for metal bits.

If the oil has a lot of gold-colored powdered metal in it, your synchros are probably worn and/or shift forks worn.

If the car still drives, then your problems will probably be fixed with a rebuild.

Stop forcing it into gear.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
possible cheap fixes:

If the oil has a lot of gold-colored powdered metal in it, your synchros are probably worn and/or shift forks worn.

If the car still drives, then your problems will probably be fixed with a rebuild.

Excellent advice, Ed.
Only thing to add is Amsoil MTF94 synthetic replacement is the best...

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ.../manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/

Note: Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
R380

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
possible cheap fixes:

I just changed the tranny oil about 200 (or less) miles ago. Most of the bits on the magnetic plug were dark in color.

Im stopping the forcing - lol - its in the shop now but I want the education - to learn - what could be going on. I like to fix things on my own but sans that, I want to be an informed customer.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Floppy gear shift is a grub screw failure.

I really think you should consider trying the cheap stuff first yourself. Unless your mechanic is independently wealthy, you are on the path to a very expensive "fix".

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Before mashing it into first, try second, then first. Then stop driving it like a German short shift sports car and appreciate that it's an old tractor. :)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Floppy gear shift is a grub screw failure.

I really think you should consider trying the cheap stuff first yourself. Unless your mechanic is independently wealthy, you are on the path to a very expensive "fix".

OK - Appreciated. I'm running up with tools right now to see about the grub screw. At worst, if it doesn't simply need a tighten, its at the right place to have a look.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
OK - Appreciated. I'm running up with tools right now to see about the grub screw. At worst, if it doesn't simply need a tighten, its at the right place to have a look.
If you can force it in gear or press the clutch petal down and put it in gear with the engine off, it is likely not the grubber...

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No dice on the grub screw. It was in fact though a little loose, it didnt appear to be slipping off the selector shaft.

The Housing and the nylon Ball Pin Seat also looked to be in good shape with little wear.

Well - its at the Transmission shop and is slated to be looked at today. Any other suggestions, let me know - thanks for the help thus far.

Pics of my findings:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Good point, Robert

Sorry that the easy checks didn't yield anything. IIRC, the last easy thing to check is if the gears will engage with rev matching - with gentle shifts.

If so, then it's probably the synchros that need replacing.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Clutch hydraulics? You did say it was full but that is not necessarily a guarantee. Also, what was the fluid changed with? Ok nevermind I see you already answered that...

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well folks - I figured I would post because its exactly one month later and I am still without my truck. The shop I took it to stated it would be likely this long if they had to rebuild the unit.

However, after a couple weeks sitting there, they called me and said they thought it would be cheaper for me to get a whole new (rebuilt) R380 for them to pop in the truck. I called around and found a rebuilt 380 from Atlantic British.

I am replacing the clutch, slave cylinder and engine mounts while at it. The shop states this is a really big job for them and while I appreciate a job well done, my patience is nearing the end.

Hopefully I finally have a smooth-shifting D90 back this week and can feel confident the job was done right with another 100k expected on this transmission.

More updates hopefully soon.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
I would seriously consider another shop if this is a big job for them.
Exactly. I.e. Huff did it, on his back, in his garage on jackstands (pretty much solo besides a couple of hands to put it back in). I pulled mine - albeit with a lift - solo and reinstalled it solo as well (with the same "couple of extra hands" when it came time to lining everything up for reinstall). These were both done for the clutch job, but that requires a R&R of the transmission to accomplish.

If it's a job that Galpin could do, on his back, in the dirt at a campground - then it shouldn't be a "big job" for a proper shop :).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts